Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #1
trent
OMG they killed Kenny!

Is the Chase Lake LT still loaded with crap?

I haven't been out to Chase Lake in a couple years. Back in 2015 and 2016 it was loaded with junk, ripped tarps, garbage, bunch of cooking equipment, etc. I've tried to clean it up when I visit and remove junk. I am planning on going soon and wondering if I should bring an extra garbage bag.
trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #2
Lucky13

I always have a few garbage bags in the pack. Need a quick pair of hip boots for a new beaver pond over your trail, two trash bags. Raincoat not working well enough, hole for head and two for arms in a trash bag. Plus, you will nearly always be able to fill one for the hike out, although after two years of hauling from one ADK pond we've finally gotten it all out, and nothing new had appeared last time we were in.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:53 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Ditto on always bringing extras bags to put extra trash in, especially when visiting a lean-to that is only a short walk in.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:09 PM   #4
Tick Magnet

I was there back in January.

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=25015

The place had seen some abuse and I suspect it'll have some trash around. Unless someone just cleaned it up, I would plan on a couple bags worth of trash. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Please let us know how it goes.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:09 AM   #5
trent
OMG they killed Kenny!

A little update on Chase Lk LT

My wife, daughter, and I recently returned from Chase Lake. The LT wasn't as junked out as it was in the past, but it could still use some removal of crap if anyone's planning on heading out there any time soon. E.g. cooking pan with bullet holes, Coleman cooler with bullet holes, someone's thermos. Also, some of it's not horrible, but there's some cooking equipment no one probably uses and is just rusting out.

I took out some miscellaneous smaller crap, but couldn't carry too much with a 50 lb. pack on my back and 7 month daughter strapped on my chest.

No boats at the LT. Did some minor bushwhacking and didn't see them anywhere. Probably over at the camp site.

Mice have made some serious burrows in the walls of the leanto (North-East corner) and with an infant with us I spent more time hunting mice than fishing. If anyone's out there and sees the small 6" twigs sticking out of the walls, they're plugging the mouse holes and seemed to be pretty effective.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:39 AM   #6
Tick Magnet

Trent, thanks for the update and for removing some of the funk. Even a little bit helps.

That trailhead has seen some recent SAR activity with missing hikers on the County Line Lake trail as well as Chase Lake. Was the flagging still in the woods? I hear the DEC ATV's dug up the CLL trail pretty bad.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #7
trent
OMG they killed Kenny!

We did see some flagging in two place. Some hikers that stopped by let us know that there was a SAR previously. I never really saw flagging like this.

I'd guess the flagged places were about 1/2 mile in and 3/4 mile in. In softer muddier places in the trail there'd be like 4-6 sticks stuck in the ground with orange ribbons tied to them. At the first flagged area there was a ribbon on a tree to and written with a magic marker it said something like "Barefoot 1st out".

Not sure what it meant. Maybe the ranger's name is Barefoot?

Look like the 4wheeler tracks bypassed the first 1/2 mile or so of the tail and they came into the trail via private land. In muddier spots you could see the ruts, but compared to other ADK trails, it really wasn't that bad. In drier spots you could see there might have been a couple 4wheelers through that.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:25 PM   #8
trent
OMG they killed Kenny!

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdo...r_rescues.html

"At 5:02 p.m. Monday, Williams was located by searchers on the East Side of Chase Lake, roughly three miles from his last known location. Rangers provided him with food and coverage from the sun.

"Williams was then brought back to the command post by boat and Ranger ATV. "

Ahh, so that's there the boat(s) at Chase lake went. I'm assuming they boated him to the campsite and then ATV'd him out from there.

I'm not positive on that, but next people staying at Chase and want to use a boat, I'd day probably hike to the tent site, hope to find a boat, and boat to the leanto.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:57 PM   #9
Tick Magnet

When we were there in January, there was a boat at the old LT site and one at the current LT. We couldn't verify the seaworthiness of either since the snow was 2' deep, but there was the hull of a boat at each site.

Tags
chase lake