Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #21
imonacan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
I am wondering if anyone has seen or heard a suspected Sasquatch in the ADKS......or do you believe they exist? I had read some stories of suspected Sasquatch sightings-or evidence of suspected Sasquatch/Bigfoot in the ADKS.
Something unusual is in those mountains, for sure. What I suspect, and what It actually Is.. might be two different things. The jury is still out, and really not expecting them back, anytime soon.
imonacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:13 AM   #22
J.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imonacan View Post
Something unusual is in those mountains, for sure. What I suspect, and what It actually Is.. might be two different things. The jury is still out, and really not expecting them back, anytime soon.
I know this is an old thread and all, but I'm in agreement. Do tell though, who was it that snuck out into the woods at night and threw that 45lb rock into the pond?
Not us, we were all by the fire. And not very inclined to investigate I might add.
J.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:26 PM   #23
JerseyHighlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I know this is an old thread and all, but I'm in agreement. Do tell though, who was it that snuck out into the woods at night and threw that 45lb rock into the pond?
Not us, we were all by the fire. And not very inclined to investigate I might add.
Lol.. "45lb rock" = Beaver slapping the water with it's tail.
JerseyHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:25 PM   #24
Wldrns

It is amazing how people's imagination runs away whenever they encounter something previously unfamiliar to them and new for the first time. A beaver slap does indeed sound like boulders being thrown in the water. UFOs get reported for similar "unexplained" reasons by people unfamiliar with visual effects of otherwise normal objects seen in the sky.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:57 AM   #25
Justin
Moving along

Here’s a quick true story I’ve shared here on the forum awhile back...

A friend & I were camped out deep in the West Canada Lakes Wilderness along the South Branch West Canada Creek about 8 or 10 years ago during the late fall. We were in a location where we were positively alone with no one else around for several miles or more.

Night had fallen and we were sitting around the campfire just shooting the breeze, when all of a sudden we heard something moving through the thick brush directly across the creek from us. We stopped to listen, and then whatever it was stopped moving & starting breathing very heavily, and very loudly. It’s kind of hard to describe but try & picture an overweight man who’d been running uphill for several minutes and is now completely winded & gasping & trying to catch his breath...that’s kinda what it sounded like.

I got up & shined my headlamp across the creek to see what it was, but my light couldn’t penetrate the darkness & mist coming up off the water, even though it was no more than 20 yards away. The breathing then stopped, and we stood there listening, and were a little creeped out. My buddy & I looked at each other & were like “what the hell was that?”.

We stood there, waiting for any kind of noise from whatever it was that we just heard, but it was complete silence. It never made any other noises. We didn’t hear it walk or run away, which would be next to impossible because of the thick brush & alders on the opposite shore, and we never heard any kind of sound in the water of it swimming away.

I’ve heard deer breathing before and it wasn’t anything like that. If it was a moose I’m positive that we would’ve heard an animal that large walk, run, or swim away. I thought maybe it could’ve been a large beaver, but we never heard any tail slaps all weekend.

It was a little odd, and I’ve never experienced anything like that before or since. My best guess is that it was a bear, which somehow managed to make a completely silent getaway through the thick brush, but to this day my buddy & I still refer to that mysterious creature as the “South Branch Swamp Monster”.

Last edited by Justin; 01-07-2018 at 06:27 AM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:21 AM   #26
Tug Hill

Once while I was driving the Osceola Rd During a snow storm, I thought I saw a big foot in the middle of the road. But, it turned out to be a 6’ woman in a black snowmobile suit who’s snowmobile was stuck in the ditch.

The most remarkable trait of the elusive Sasquatch, is their uncanny ability to avoid game cameras. This trait is also shared by the eastern mt. lion. :>)
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:35 AM   #27
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hill View Post

The most remarkable trait of the elusive Sasquatch, is their uncanny ability to avoid game cameras. This trait is also shared by the eastern mt. lion. :>)
Yeah, I know! All I get on my game camera are shots of leprechauns riding on unicorns.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:10 PM   #28
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

I'll never forget the look on the faces of two paddlers I once happened upon while they were carrying between Hardigan and Salmon outlet.
While whakin' trough some thick brush from the 'falls' back to the old rr grade, about 5-7 yards from the trail, I start hearing noise - yelling, banging, etc.
Not more than five minutes later I popped out of the thicket and there were two middle age guys with their canoe. They must've been expecting Sasquatch or at least a large bull moose - faces pale, sweating like pigs, standing frozen still.

I imagine, it would've been one heck of a story had I stopped and slipped away through an opening in the brush leading away from the trail. However, it was getting late and I had another dozen miles to cover...

(in their defence, it was a sticky day so some of it could have been from exertion)
Old 01-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #29
Buckladd

Believer or not, the Adirondack Bigfoot lore sure is interesting. You'll find on this forum a long running thread with lots of good stuff.
http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=4067&page=18

Last edited by Buckladd; 01-08-2018 at 07:38 AM..
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #30
cityboy

Thanks for resurrecting the thread. Just read my post from 5 1/2 years ago and I still agree with everything I said.
Saw a compelling video out of Russia but a picture is not a body so 10 years until I stop believing.
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #31
Pauly D.

For what it's worth I worked with a guy whose father was a one of the police officer's in Whitehall who witnessed the famous Whitehall beast. He swears its true. This guy was a stand-up man who went on to the FBI.

Not trying to stir up anything, just sharing my story. I personally have never seen anything strange like that in the Adirondacks. The closest I've gotten is spooking deer and hearing bull moose mating calls.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:52 AM   #32
Tug Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
Yeah, I know! All I get on my game camera are shots of leprechauns riding on unicorns.

Have you been able to pattern them, so you can find their pot of gold ?
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:00 PM   #33
Woodly

I'm not a big believer in Bigfoot since there never seems to be any true physical evidence of such, that said, here are two true stories both out of the Franklin Falls area in about 1978.
1. I had a friend who lived in Rochester who leased a camp above the old, now not used, boat launch on Franklin Falls Pond. He was a very reliable and honest fellow and visited his camp often. He also wasn't a drinker or drug user.
During a fall hunting season he had 3 other guys with him and they were inside playing cards. When a huge crash slammed into the cabin wall. They all ran out and there lay a large log which had hit about 6ft up the cabin wall. Flashlights on they never saw a thing nor heard anything else.
What could throw a log 6ft up and hard enough to shake a small cabin?
2. My wife [then] and I lived under ground with our 2 children and 2 big dogs deep in the woods above Franklin Falls.
One night the wife walked outside to use the outhouse when she heard something and came back in and said to me; Something is out there' I grabbed a bat, should've grabbed a gun instead, and headed out when there I realized by the door lay the two dogs by the woodstove.
I grabbed the male dog and shoved him out in front of me and he didn't get halfway up the stairs when he lit into the most serious growling I had ever heard and still haven't heard since. He would not go ahead of me but did follow me up the steps but wouldn't leave my side.
The other dog also lit into serious growling but would not come outside.
These were mtn dogs which had treed bears and chased bobcats. My hair was on end and my wife soon followed me with a gun.
We were outside for about a half hour and the dogs never stopped being alarmed or stopped growling.
We never heard or saw anything but something was there...and my hair is standing on end now as I type this. It was very real.
The next morning I checked everywhere for tracks but there was only scattered snow on the frozen ground and I did not find any trace of what was there and to this day I have no clue.
So what was it? Certainly something the dogs weren't familiar with nor wanted anything to do with. Bigfoot? Unlikely...but?. Wolverine is my guess tho they allegedly don't come to the 'Dacks'. I believe they do. Coyotes my dogs would have lit into. No human came back there, most especially at night and it would have been one heckuva a nasty human to scare my dogs like that.

Last edited by Woodly; 01-22-2018 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: spelling error fixes
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote