Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
jonnygorgo

Jimmy Latour

I was just wondering if anyone knew Jimmy Latour. Jimmy owned a sawmill in Onchiota (15 miles northeast of Saranac Lake) for forty years. I guess he founded what is now Hyde Fuel in SL, was a Franklin County Legislator, an aviator, avid outdoorsmen and just one of the good old boys. I have also heard that he donated the land that Adirondack Medical Center is on is SL, thus the park on Lake Colby bearing his name. I have moved into his former residence, which has prompted stories from all types of people.
I have heard:
"You know, after OSHA shut him down, Jimmy used to make up a batch of pickles and sit around and wait for someone to bring him some logs to saw."

"Jimmy Latour considered Old Milwaukee currency."

"Jimmy used to come over for dinner every once in a while. One day he said he wanted to come cook for us. He showed up with two coffee cans full of bacon fat and a box of venison steaks. To my horror, he melted to fat in a frying pan and deep fried the steaks."

So, anyone know this guy? He was certainly a storied Adirondacker who I would like to hear more about.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
backwoodsman

Where in Onchiota was his sawmill?

Last edited by backwoodsman; 03-30-2008 at 09:41 PM..
backwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
Woodly

I met Jimmy

I kind of knew Jimmy, he cut up logs for friends and I more then once. We built homes in Franklin Falls and Black Brook.
Sometimes he charged us cash, sometimes we swapped a few logs with him [mostly hardwood] and I think a couple times when we only had a couple logs we didn't get charged anything.
That goes back to the 70's.
Same thing went on with the old sawmill in Ausable Forks.
Never exchanged alcohol with Jimmy, nor had a beer with him or his crew...but boy those guys could cut some lumber, fast and accurate.

Wasn't Jimmy also a big, big, donor to the Saranac Lake Hospital?

Last edited by Woodly; 01-25-2018 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: additional info
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote