Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2008, 12:25 AM   #21
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

VT, I'm not following you. Not sure what you mean exactly. I can tell you one thing--the yellow perch are SMALLER than ever south of Champlain Bridge. I saw all the dead alewives on the shores this spring. I would say that maybe one in twenty of the yellow perch we catch in winter would be able to feed on those...at least the dead ones I saw anyway. As I stated before, there used to be tons of Walleye too, but because of overfishing they are hard to come by.

I know firsthand people who regularly have 100-300 dollar days on Champlain. Also, just because fish regulations are in place does not mean people follow them. That said, I think they are a great thing, and Champlain needs them for sure.

Again, the practice of selling fish just spits in the face of conservation.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:37 AM   #22
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

I started a thread on this topic a few years back. I didn't bother to go back and read everything, but I really like Hugh's second post on the topic. I don't want this whole thing to turn into a pissing contest, so I've posted the link which outlines my rationale on the issue.

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.p...t=Selling+Fish

As a side note, has anyone heard from Hugh lately?
Old 07-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #23

G G , I agree with you on the idea that the folks that determine the Regs should be one step ahead and not two steps behind the current trends.

That said , I also feel that folks abiding by the laws are well within their rights to do what they want , as long as the fish are not wasted ,which I think falls under another reg.

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

Last edited by 1894; 07-21-2008 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: Repeated an earlier post
1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:51 PM   #24
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

Again, I think I clarified what I meant, and I didn't mean to be too general.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #25

You did Sir , wasn't sure I made my point , but seems I did

I worked for a couple of companies that laid off folks for the winter , and if they took an above the table job they never got called back in the spring

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #26
timetohike

The gov vetoed the bill. Told the promoters to go to the DEC and work things out.

fishing bill vetoed
Old 08-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #27
AlSara
We fish with a fly

Hmmm. I questioned the language as well. I wonder if this is a knee-jerk reaction to the LG fiasco this winter....
AlSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #28
timetohike

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSara View Post
Hmmm. I questioned the language as well. I wonder if this is a knee-jerk reaction to the LG fiasco this winter....
I'm sure the Lake George poaching helped ril;e some emotions to get the bill passed, but those two poachers were taking beyond the limit. If they had simply stayed under the creel limit there would have been no incident.

I don't get the "exploiting the resource" argument. If I catch 50 perch and sell them to a restaurant to be eaten and my buddy catches 50 pearch and throws them in his garden for fertilizer, how am I "exploiting" a resource and he isn't? Isn't the guy selling us our tackle "exploiting" the resource for commercial gain? Along with the motels aon the lake shore, the outdoor newspapers and magazines, and the guide book writers?

There may be reasons to prohbit the sale of game fish, but I don't think a specious "exploiting the resource" argument is a justifiable reason.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:08 PM   #29
AlSara
We fish with a fly

That's a good point TTH. Bottom line is the founding fathers wanted us to rely less on government and we citizens have, over the last 200 years, done the opposite. So hopefully forums such as these help us citizens move back in the correct direction.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #30
Durango

Selling Fish thread--mentions Hugh

As a side note, has anyone heard from Hugh lately?[/QUOTE]

Gray Ghost mentions Hugh--I've tried pms to him but have not heard for a while, nearly a year--
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:28 PM   #31
AlSara
We fish with a fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post
As a side note, has anyone heard from Hugh lately?
Gray Ghost mentions Hugh--I've tried pms to him but have not heard for a while, nearly a year--[/QUOTE]

if it's the Hugh I am thinking of (fly tier in the Southern Adirondacks). He's well. He posts regularly on my fly fishing forum.

Al