Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
AlSara
We fish with a fly

Long Pond 8/19-8/20

Sara and I were planning to hike the NPT. Well, an exciting circumstance changed our plans. Doctor said that she shouldn't "over do it" for a while. Though the news is exciting, I have been feeling like a dog who was asked to go for a walk only to watch the owners leave the driveway without him...the cushions on the couch were looking rather tasty...

We have a Old Towne Discovery 133K and we decided to take an easy camping trip and eat some of the 12 packages of food we ordered from Hawkvittles.com (I'll share the rest with hunting buddies and with Sara during ice fishing season).

The canoe is slow but we weren't in a hurry. We camped at the point that creates the bay near the carry to Nessie and Bessie (there's a HUGE campsite on the same peninsula--near the carry to Slag Pond). Very clean and good sun there.

The wind blew and the temps never came out of the 50's. We arrived at camp about 4ish, set up and appreciated that fact that the cool temps and breeze were keeping the flies down. Had our first meal. OUTSTANDING!

I did some fishing and boated a grub-covered sunfish and two small chubs using some bass poppers I tied. The loons sang us lullabyes and then all was quiet. We only heard one plane and no other motors the two days we were there. Very nice!

Woke up the next morning had another meal--breakfast cassrole--delicious again, but we would have liked some Tobasco and maybe a tortilla to make it extra-delicious.

On a VERY full stomach we paddled to the Slag Pond carry and worked our way slowly to Turtle and on to Hoel. At the train tracks, the wind started howling so we headed back to camp.

Lunch was cheddar plus soup. At this point we realized something about the Hawkvittles. They are meant for three people OR two people with a HUGE appetite. I don't think we worked hard enough to eat all that food. It was kind of like the holiday season.

After lunch we read some, dozed a little and decided to head out a night early.

I want to give that area one more shot. The ponds we paddled were generally feature-less so other than the solitude they didn't hold much in the way of awe. Adding the hike to Long Pond Mountain and perhaps getting up into some of the smaller ponds might make for a more interesting trip.

Oh, one person we visited with said the trail to Mountain Pond was super muddy and the carry to Clamshell was closed as "impassable".
AlSara is offline   Reply With Quote