Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
AlSara
We fish with a fly

Saranac with no trout pics 8/24

Began at 9am. Started in the Cold Brook area. I landed one small brown. Buddy worked some fish but none to hand.

Moved west on Route 3 to a lesser-fished water. I landed one smaller brown, and had one leap about a foot out of the water only to miss my fly. It's a wonder that fish ever catches real bugs when it misses a stimulator like that.

Moved back down to my friend's property on the Saranac. Buddy picked up a brookie and a half (short distance release).

Good sunny day on the water. Water temps in the mid 60's at all spots.

Heading out for trout tomorrow morning again, but much earlier, then chasing gar with the fly on Wednesday...first time for everything!
AlSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
Lute Hawkins

I didn't know gar were present in the ADKs. Always thought they were a warmer-water species.
Lute Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
wildbrookies

Good luck Al!! Report back!!

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
AlSara
We fish with a fly

Gar fishing was/is awesome. I had three on, missed 4 other strikes. Saw fish all over the place. They are big...and small. But the plethora of big ones are really big.

Anyone know if there are gar in the north country? The drive to the southern basin area of Champlain is pretty long...

Battenkill was good. Fished a couple mile stretch from 6pm to 8:30. Used the "run and gun" tactic to almost finish the entire stretch before the lights went out. I landed one small brookie and buddy landed a decent but not huge brown. Enough strikes and scenery to keep it a favorite river of mine...

Back to the 'Nac this weekend though...

Last edited by AlSara; 08-28-2008 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: details....
AlSara is offline   Reply With Quote