Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2008, 10:43 PM   #1
Linkandcuff

are martin rods any good??...

if u go to ebay and look at rods u see a lot of cheap martin rods....i'm looking to try fly fishing would this be a good rod company to start with...i was looking to get something around a 5wt
Linkandcuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
trouthunter

My 3/4 wt Martin that I bought for $40 brand new is my favorite rod for brooktrout fishing small streams. Mine has been modified a little. I was a little rough on it while bushwacking one day and the reel seat broke off. I stashed it in my closet for a year or two thinking someday Id try repairing it. I dusted it off one day and made a wood dowel to insert into the lower portion of the rod. Then I reattached the reel seat with some gorilla glue. Two days later I fished with it and its been my favorite since.It casted very nice stock but even better after I firmed it up a little with the dowel. Martins are not known for quality. They are imported and dont use the best components but in my opinion based on the one model I have they cast like a much more expensive rod. My $.02.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
Battenkiller

Most of the ones I've seen on eBay are the "Caddis Creek" combo. Even the Martin site fails to mention if they are graphite or not, so they probably aren't. Their top end rods are high modulus graphite or at least IM6 (which ain't bad IMHO) so I would stay away from the Caddis Creek ones. You really want to have a graphite rod.

Otherwise, they look like they might work well enough to catch a few fish with, at least for a while anyway. Just don't expect these inexpensive combos to last very long. The real savings for them is in using cheap components. Rod blanks themselves can be produced for pennies in the Orient these days. I have a couple of Temple Forks rods that I got because I was on their licensed guide program. The rods cast well and cost me next to nothing, but the windings were coming off the guides on both of them within a week's hard use.
Battenkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
trouthunter

Very good points Battenkiller. My Martin is graphite and is the Mill Creek series.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #5
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

The other way to go is to build your own. Look at Hook & Hackle http://www.hookhack.com/

I've built several inexpensive rods for my kids and for bushwacking (I'm hard on my toys) and you can't go wrong. It's easier than it looks. I have no commercial or other ulterior motives for pointing you in this direction
vtflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
Battenkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
The other way to go is to build your own. Look at Hook & Hackle http://www.hookhack.com/
I was told that the Hook and Hackle rod blanks are (or at least used to be) made by G. Loomis and are outstanding in quality. I believe that the IM6 blanks may be made on the same mandrels that the original Loomis IM6 rods were produced on. If so, I can say that both the 7'6" 4 wt. (medium action) and the 8' 4 wt. (progressive action) are outstanding fishing tools (I've owned both). IM6 was the best graphite ever used and much better IMHO than the high modulus stuff Loomis used in their IMX(plode) rods that are much too stiff for normal stream fishing conditions.

This is definitely a way to go for a beginner who wants superior equipment at a fraction of the cost of the top name brands. Trust me, no matter how many thumbs you have, you will end up with better finished rod than the El Cheapos wrapped in the Orient. Everything can be had for under $80.
Battenkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:53 PM   #7
AlSara
We fish with a fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post

I've built several inexpensive rods for my kids and for bushwacking (I'm hard on my toys) and you can't go wrong. It's easier than it looks. I have no commercial or other ulterior motives for pointing you in this direction
Not good stuff. Low quality and high price. You can do better buying commercial. I ordered the H&H Kits from that company and they were generous to offer a student discount for the class I taught. Every component in the kit was very low quality. I've done better in quality and paid only a few dollars more from other companies. I cannot attest to their higher end rod building products.

I am happy to share my full experience and the other companies through a private message.
AlSara is offline   Reply With Quote