Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
adkmountainken

Adirondack Nymph, who originated this fly? (pic's)

the Adirondack Nymph is by far and away my favorite fly/nymph. i use it both dry and wet. when dry it floats high becouse of the hackles and when wet the hackles slick back over the body and look like a shell. an area tier named Ed Bendell got me hooked on this fly but i do not think he originated this pattern. i was told it might be Fran Betters? anyone know for sure? if you have never tried this fly you really should, its a killer!

not all those who wander are lost!
adkmountainken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:47 PM   #2
AlSara
We fish with a fly

Do you tie them or buy them?
AlSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
adkmountainken

fly

i buy them or i did untill Ed retired. i have a couple friends who can tie them now. this fly does it all, the bigger size really hammers the small mouths as well. this nymph has produced when all else has failed.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:01 PM   #4
AlSara
We fish with a fly

What sizes are you using?

Wet flies are coming back in vogue...strike a pose!

I fish a northwest bay pattern like that...from a guy that invented it for Lake George...but the hackles on his are stiffer...
Old 06-18-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
ADKHUNTER

Can't quite tell the colors. Can you post them? I'd like to tie up a few.

ED
ADKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:10 PM   #6
Battenkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkmountainken View Post
the Adirondack Nymph is by far and away my favorite fly/nymph. i use it both dry and wet. when dry it floats high becouse of the hackles and when wet the hackles slick back over the body and look like a shell. an area tier named Ed Bendell got me hooked on this fly but i do not think he originated this pattern. i was told it might be Fran Betters? anyone know for sure?
Sexy looking fly.

Ed Bendell, eh? I bought my first tying stuff from him over 20 years ago.

I doubt Fran Betters invented it. I've never seen it sold up there. Besides, he would have taken credit for it as he has for a bunch he didn't invent (like the "Usual"), but he ties tons of similar flies like his soft hackle green caddis which works great on the Ausable. Fran's a shrewd dude. If it cost 10 cents to tie and he can tie it in a minute and a half and sell it for $2...

I tie a Scottish-style soft hackle on a heavy 2X long wet fly hook with only a bit of peacock hurl as a thorax and two twists of soft grizzly in front of it. When wet, it folds back over the thorax like you say and looks like a nymph more than any nymph pattern I know. It sinks as fast as a bead head because it's almost like a bare hook, but the soft hackle makes it "breathe" when you give it a slow, stuttering retrieve. You can high stick it as well and tap the rod to give it as bit of life as you swim it through a run.

George Schlotter used to tie the Vermont Caddis with just a sparsely dubbed body and two turns of stiff hackle in front right behind the eye. The hook hangs in the water while the dressed hackle collar keeps it up top. The fish take it soft and convincingly in the film. Works for those impossible Battenkill black caddis hatches around Memorial Day when fish are bulging everywhere (well, back when there were lots of fish there) and you can't hook up.
Battenkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
mohawkriverdan

Is Ed still kicken ?
mohawkriverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
adkmountainken

yup, Ed's still around but closed his shop. he is the one, years ago that got me in to fly fishing, i can't thank him enough!

Old 06-21-2008, 03:10 PM   #9
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Awesome fly. So do you have the recipe for that pattern? I can see how / why it would work. What sizes have you found best?
vtflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:34 PM   #10
adkmountainken

the hackel is guinea and the body is black yarn i believe, nothing more to it. hackels when wet slick back covering the body so they are a little longer then the body. i have used sizes between 8 and 12. smaller seem to work better for trout and the larger are grabbed by everything especially small mouth in fast moving water. after talking with local tiers today everyone seemd to agree that indeed Ed Bendel did originate this fly! i will take a ride to Ed's house next week and ask him.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:44 AM   #11
bjnolan@charter.net
littlepotter10

I have found that partrige hackle works as good as any onthis kind of fly.
bjnolan@charter.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #12
sideshow

If Ed did originate it, I believe his daughter would have the original. Many of the first tied flies were framed and given to her, I believe that is what he told me years ago). One exception would be the "Hearts Delight Special" (yes, named after the Hearts Delight several miles upstream from Ed's). which he tied for me to give as a gift to my Best Man, Pete. Oddly, I have not looked at this forum in a few weeks and am wearing my Ed's Fly Shop t-shirt today. Whooda thunk it.
sideshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:48 AM   #13
adkmountainken

as i said Ed is the man who got me started in fly fishing, i owe him a great deal, i plan on stopping in real soon to see how he is doing. can't say enough about him!

Old 08-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #14
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

So I couldn't help myself from tinkering with this pattern. I added a sparse tail of Pheasant fibers and wound the body using Peacock herl instead of wool. Thinking this would be a good Isonychia imitation, I took a few over to a section of Otter Creek, which is over my way in Vermont. It was one of my best mornings ever! From 5:30 until 8:30 it seemed like every fish in the river had to have a taste of it. I took my biggest brown this season, landed another 15 or so and lost 3 other hefty fish. I also lost my net while stumbling and tripping my way downstream following one of those river pigs. So I came home netless and bruised but smiling. .

Thanks for that pattern! Here's hoping others use it and do as well or better! Hint: Fish quartering downstream and let it swing just under the surface. The fish will chase it down like it was their last meal!
Old 08-30-2008, 01:32 PM   #15
wildbrookies

HI VTFLYFISH,

I gotta throw my two cents in here...I love using Peacock Herl on my flies...I try to incorporate it into alot of patterns that don`t really call for it...I ty my woolly buggers with it intead of the usual chenille for the body...you have to use alot more to build up the body but its worth it ...I also , like using Pheasant-tail fibers for alot of my flies tails,especially wets...glad you had a great morning out on your local river ...I have heard of Otter Creek...does it have stream born trout in it?

Hey, sometimes you have to offer up something in return to the Trout Gods for giving you such an awesome day...in this case it happened to be your net!!

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:03 PM   #16
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

WB,

Otter Creek does indeed host a decent population of wild trout. Even where it is stocked there can be good local populations of wild fish and the river has a lot of holdovers. The section I like best has never been stocked. Since it's a valley stream through marble bedrock, it maintains a good ph. It's downfall is the amount of farmland that pushes right up to the banks. Also, deforestation of the tribs causes the river to come up fast and off color, much more so than 25 years ago when I started fishing it. Still, I'm willing to bet that the largest wild brookie in Vermont is swimming in one of the wilder, less accessible sections.

But my favorite section has been blown out and unfishable most of the season. It's just now down to fishable levels.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:31 PM   #17
wildbrookies

I remember reading in a book called something like: Fishing Vermonts Lakes and streams and the Otter was in it...I remember it being such a Gem of a river it has brookies ,browns and rainbows...is that true?...I have always wanted to try it ...but ,I think it is quite aways from my home (Saratoga area)...about how far is it from say...Greenwich,NY?

Thanks,

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:23 PM   #18
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

My son and I fished the Iso hatch again last night with the modified Adirondack nymph. See the enclosed. And someone not only found my lost net but hung it on the trailhead signpost! And nobody took it! We live in an amazing part of the country and deeds like that speak to the chartacter of (most of) those who reside here.

[img=http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3925/august08ak1.th.jpg]
Old 09-10-2008, 09:05 PM   #19
AlSara
We fish with a fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
My son and I fished the Iso hatch again last night with the modified Adirondack nymph. See the enclosed. And someone not only found my lost net but hung it on the trailhead signpost! And nobody took it! We live in an amazing part of the country and deeds like that speak to the chartacter of (most of) those who reside here.

[img=http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3925/august08ak1.th.jpg]

Very cool story, VT. Nice to read the good things that happen in life!
Old 09-12-2008, 09:54 PM   #20
marzrw

VT, that is cool!