No announcement yet.

Choosing a Hornbeck... today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does St. Regis Canoe rent RF's? i would like to try one for a day.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by shiraz627 View Post
      Does St. Regis Canoe rent RF's? i would like to try one for a day.

Gary
      I've seen Hornbecks on their rental rack at the Floodwood shop. I haven't been by there lately to see if RFs are available. I don't know about for a whole day, but if you visit the PB shop in Lake Placid you can test paddle a RF to your heart's content on the local pond.
      "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Guys! I am back ...Gotta say, I am pretty psyched up I went with the 10.5'-er. It was a tough choice between it and the 12'.

The experience of going to the shop is awesome! Extremely nice guys. Had fun trying out both the 10.5'er and 12'er out back in the pond. Very very helpful, and, they really make you feel comfortable and it's a lot of fun to see the shop and meet the guys who make your boat. It's worth the hike out there just for that!

I went with the smaller, 10'er, boat after all. The 12'er was indeed faster... But, I'm not exactly looking to nail bigger water. I think I'm going to be plenty happy with it. I can hardly say it's for "shaving weight", they're all so light. I also kinda love the idea of the tiny boat. Anyone who hasn't heard of a Hornbeck who I tell it weighs 12 pounds is in near disbelief, they're like "...And it's a canoe???"

I am kind of in 7th heaven right now You should've seen me, after driving back from NY, I was in VT stopping at the grocery store, canoe still car-topped... And it just kinda hit me as I approached my car from a distance coming out of the store -- seeing the Hornbeck there, I just started jumping up and down and clapping! ...Who knows what people were thinking when they saw that!!

I also decided to have them install their external frame pack mount on my pack. Seems to work a lot like the one Wldrns posted.

Get to have a "test" (I quote it cause I know she'll work well!) by making my annual solo trip for 4-5 days this coming week... Way out into the back of beyond to chase the Salvelinus fontinalis Now when I overpack I can't blame the canoe for being too heavy, it's a riot to pick it up and feel the weight!

@VermontScott: Dude -- definitely *high five* on the ADKs and being from VT Burlington is a great place. Also much thanks on the consideration of trying the Hornbeck if I hadn't, well, gone yesterday!
        "ya gotta get a better view outside, cause you'll burn right up inside, through the knowledge fools get the mileage, birds eye view, catch all this" -del

Comment

Congrats on your purchase! We have two Hornbecks. The first is 15 years old--well-used and well-loved. Eventually bought another one and last year we finally made it in to Duck Hole from Tahawus (Newcomb, NY). I don't know anything about the fishing but it is a classic trip: hike, lake, hike, pond, short hike, another pond, interesting bushwhack, and then Duck Hole. We did it as a day trip but it would be a really neat trip for one or more nights. There are two leantos at Duck Hole and you could try fishing and maybe climb a mountain, or two.

Enjoy that canoe!

Pat T

Comment

Originally posted by protocoldroid View Post
            Guys! I am back ...Gotta say, I am pretty psyched up I went with the 10.5'-er. It was a tough choice between it and the 12'.

@VermontScott: Dude -- definitely *high five* on the ADKs and being from VT Burlington is a great place. Also much thanks on the consideration of trying the Hornbeck if I hadn't, well, gone yesterday!
            Dude. The best place I've found in Vermont for paddling is Green River Reservoir. If you haven't been there you definitely need to check it out. Those 'Black Jacks' look deadly I'd go with the wooden gunnels but that adds weight and maintenance but that's just me. Congratulations on your purchase-I know your feeling of elation

Scott
            "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."
            -George Washington Sears

Comment

Originally posted by Vermont Scott View Post
              Those 'Black Jacks' look deadly I'd go with the wooden gunnels but that adds weight and maintenance but that's just me.
              Be careful with those rolled graphite gunwales. I've seen on more than one boat they have cracked from stress, right at the midpoint. I think I heard a rumor that Pete has beefed them up, but I can't swear to it.
              "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Working...
              X