Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2018, 04:47 PM   #81
DuctTape
Out of Shape

IIRC the beginning of the game laws came about mostly from hunters, trappers, and fisherman who were witnessing the destruction of the the fisheries, hunting, and trapping grounds. This destruction was motivated by the selling of fish/game to the restaurants in the cities facilitated by unregulated markets, and non-existent game laws.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:49 PM   #82
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hill View Post
So again the elites in NY, decide what is fair chase, ethical and moral ?
Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

Seriously though, different states / agencies have different priorities. Deer herd management is one of the objectives, so other places can decide on how they want to get there...
Old 12-14-2018, 08:40 AM   #83
Lucky13

Actually, I don’t think there would be any violation in shooting from inside your own house, although you might not be able to hear for a while. The violation was in shooting over bait. I knew a guy in Pennsylvania who got his deer three years in a row from the bathroom, which he would find a need to visit after a couple of hours on his stand, but there was no bait involved. He had some hearing problems, but he had his venison.

As to the "elites" making a determination, I would remind you that it was the "elites" that decided we needed the Forest Preserve, too. Maybe we should just go back to hounding, jacking at night, and get rid of the closed season altogether. And we could get rid of the Park, just go back to clear cut and leave it to be taken for failure to pay taxes, then let the legislators sell it back to their friends when the trees grow back again. They have some experience with this kind of thing in Albany lately!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:54 AM   #84
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Actually, I don’t think there would be any violation in shooting from inside your own house
I think it would depend upon how far from your neighbor's house(es) your bathroom is.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:01 AM   #85
Tug Hill

I’m not suggesting ,” going back,” to old practices, please control your emotions ? You should thank the timber barons for clear cutting parts of the ADK’s, otherwise the state would not have acquired nearly 3 million acres , and there would be no ADK park. There is around 3 million acres inside the park that is private land, and the viable forest management concept of clearcutting is still happening on some of this timberland as long as it’s under 25 acres.

All I’m asking is why is it considered “fair chase,” in 22 states and several Canadian Provence’s, but not in NY ? For everyone’s info, It is considered in NY, fair chase to bait coyotes, and other furbearer’s .
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #86
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
I think it would depend upon how far from your neighbor's house(es) your bathroom is.
500 feet to your neighbors house or closer if you have permission. AND you must be wearing your back tag unless you are in Northern Zone.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #87
mgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
Correct. If you are within 500 feet of an adjoining occupied home or farm property you may not shoot a firearm from the toilet or couch..unless you have received specific permission from your neighbors to do so. If you plan to use your crossbow, 250 feet is the number and if you can shoot your long or compound bow while sitting on the throne, 150 feet. If you plan to shoot from inside your home (or off the back porch) you also must have permission from any other occupants of your home...so if your spouse or GF are opposed to it they can call the DEC or State Police and have you arrested for discharging the firearm within the setback...not good.

Why do other states allow baiting??? That is a good question...why do some states vote red and some states vote blue? Why do some fisherman follow the stocking truck? Why do folks watch Ted Nugent shoot fenced in critters over bait? Why do folks get arrested for jacking deer?
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:57 PM   #88
ADKpikebuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgc View Post
Correct. If you are within 500 feet of an adjoining occupied home or farm property you may not shoot a firearm from the toilet or couch..unless you have received specific permission from your neighbors to do so. If you plan to use your crossbow, 250 feet is the number and if you can shoot your long or compound bow while sitting on the throne, 150 feet. If you plan to shoot from inside your home (or off the back porch) you also must have permission from any other occupants of your home...so if your spouse or GF are opposed to it they can call the DEC or State Police and have you arrested for discharging the firearm within the setback...not good.

Why do other states allow baiting??? That is a good question...why do some states vote red and some states vote blue? Why do some fisherman follow the stocking truck? Why do folks watch Ted Nugent shoot fenced in critters over bait? Why do folks get arrested for jacking deer?
I’m pretty sure that if your significant other turns you in for shooting a deer out the back 40 than you need to find yourself another relationship

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM   #89
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hill View Post
I’m not suggesting ,” going back,” to old practices, please control your emotions ? .
There was nothing emotional about my response, you are the one who0 started talking about "elites".

All that house separation stuff is irrelevant if the closest buildings are 1000 feet away, additional considerations that have nothing to do with the legality of taking a deer from the back porch or from inside the building, the issue at hand.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM   #90
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil View Post
2 deer in the adirondacks, one moose in new hampshire.
cwd?

Last edited by geogymn; Yesterday at 10:08 AM.. Reason: Capitalize
geogymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM   #91
geogymn

You can legally feed deer during the winter in only one Upstate New York county

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdo...rk_county.html
Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM   #92
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
You can legally feed deer during the winter in only one Upstate New York county

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdo...rk_county.html
True, except the "legally" part is questionable at best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYUP
"His case was thrown out by County Court Judge Frank LaBuda on the basis that the DEC’s law was vague on two counts – specifically on what constitutes “feeding” and what constitutes “material” that is being fed. In a statement issued by the DEC shortly after, it was noted LaBuda’s decision invalidated the law in Sullivan County but that the feeding ban would remain valid in the rest of the state."
One Sullivan County judge threw out the ticket on appeal, so DEC chose not to pursue the case.
That doesn't mean another judge will necessary come to same conclusion, although in Sullivan County it can be argued that there's "set precedent".

Anyhow, Sullivan Co is an interesting place with fenced and gated game preserve type places dotting back roads and the infamous "Philwold" and all the drama around it...
Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM   #93
mgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
All that house separation stuff is irrelevant if the closest buildings are 1000 feet away, additional considerations that have nothing to do with the legality of taking a deer from the back porch or from inside the building, the issue at hand.
?? No. If you shoot within the legal setback (for whatever implement you use) from or in proximity of your own home and if another resident of that home decides that they are not granting permission for you to do that you can and will be arrested for violating the setback. Believe it or not, it is is not an unusual occurrence.
What is the reference to 1,000 feet? There are not any related references in the NYS regs., that I am aware of.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM   #94
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

This is an interesting thread in that it's occurring so early in the winter season. At this rate we are sure to be a bunch of grumpy old curmudgeons long before Spring.

So it all boils down to the concept of fair chase, whether that's hunting or (my domain) fishing. In the fly fishing case, Fredrick Halford established hius idea of fair chase as casting dry flies upstream only, to identified individual feeding fish. G.E.M. Skues challenged him with the idea that fishing nymphs upstream was a far more difficult and therefor more proper execution of fair chase. Our own Serotonin has his own definition, which is roughly equivalent to catching flies with chopsticks, a la Mr. Miyagi.

In the end, we all have to agree on a standard. The rest is surely going to be education. I do think that all can agree that shooting out the window from the throne at a deer eating from a planted pile of grain is not fair chase...