Canoe camping in the southern ADK's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Southern Adirondacks

I don't have any secret places to share(but I would if I had), but have you read Quiet Water Canoe Guide? Great info on most of New York state. Not everyone has the abiity or time to study topo maps, go exploring and bushwack their way to a remote location. Back in the early 80's I was a cubicle rat in NYC and wanted a cheap, yet enjoyable vacation. Looking at the guide books of the time I discovered Indian Lake campground and eventually discovered the SRCA, Lila, Lowes, Oswegatchie, etc, etc. and a few lesser traveled areas Without guide books and advise from forums like this I would never have discovered these places. Nor would I have the respect for human powered craft. I am part of the hoards that decend upon the Adirondacks in the summer but I go out of my way to support local buisnesses for food, equipment and anything else I need. I go out of my way to encourage friends and co workers to enjoy this magical place instead of taking the family to Disney or the larger lakes to go jet sking. I donate money on my tax return to support the area too. I think there are mant people like me out there and sure, there are the clods with that play load music, litter, and definitly do not leave the place better than they found it, but they are not the majority - not even in the public campgrounds. If I could vote in NY you bet I would vote for more money to buy land and support what we have. So, I think sharing is good and the more people who visit, the more people who will support maintaining and expanding it. Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by madison View Post
      I fully understand the desire to keep some places that are lesser known and precious to you to oneself. I do that by simply not responding.
      This seems a pretty obvious and simple path to politetown.

I too am sorry that I'm sorry that when you reached out, the response was largely condescension and rudeness.

I don't really understand the ego at play for someone to suggest that you find a secret remote spot by buying a book anyway, but ok.

It might not be very remote, but with all of the easier access boat launch type campsites available in the region, the independence river area ponds seem all far less travelled than the others. I don't portage a lot though because I have heavy boats. Sorry I can't be of more help.
      Visit my photography blog here
      Visit my general blog here

Comment

I'm with Earthbound on this; it's simply selfish to withhold info from a paddler who cares enough to ask about special places, especially if someone takes the time to reply to just say they don't want to "reveal" those remote paddle destinations. If you don't care to help answer the question, then why bother replying? Personally, I drive up from Buffalo, and it doesn't much matter to me if I drive 4 hours or 5 to get to a put-in. All of my Adirondack paddling is in the popular lake country or more remote areas such as the Oswegatchie, and I've never seen it "too crowded".
        I view the popular more northern paddle destinations as the best places to paddle, and that's why they're popular, of course. For southern Adirondack paddling destinations, check out this website:
        gobacktothebasics.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, gobacktothebasics.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
        Last edited by ALGonquin Bob; 08-06-2012, 07:24 PM.
        "Like" my FB page http://tinyurl.com/FB-BuffaloPaddles and visit my map ALGonquin Bob's "BUFFALO PADDLES" Paddle Guide

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W

Comment

IMHO some people are wound-up way too tight here. Some of us were merely suggesting that it is more rewarding to take TOPO in hand and do some exploring in preparation for their upcoming southern ADK trip.

The sensitivity of some here is way off the charts.
          Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

I have to agree with Poconoron on this one.I love doing the research myself but if I cannot find what I'm looking for I have no problem asking.I know one member here that has seen alot more of the Adirondacks than I have and if in the future I have a question I'll probably PM him first but I'm certainly not afraid to ask and take the abuse I'm sure to get.If I had suggestions for you Ceebsonline I'd give it to you either with a post or a PM but I don't know of much in the Southern part unless you care to bushwhack about 6 miles to get there.Let me know if that is an option but I doubt it would be.

Comment

Originally posted by poconoron View Post
              IMHO some people are wound-up way too tight here. Some of us were merely suggesting that it is more rewarding to take TOPO in hand and do some exploring in preparation for their upcoming southern ADK trip.

The sensitivity of some here is way off the charts.
              As well as the insensitivity of some.

Comment

Here's possibly a good place to start Ceebsonline.Think I'll check it out a little more myself.
                Discover hundreds of lakes and ponds located throughout the Adirondack Park, fit for fishing, boating, kayaking, and much more.

Comment

legacy

It just hit me that there could be another side to no sharing "secret places" with others. If you don't/can't share them in person with the value and reasons for specialness with others,that is lost. Maybe my advancing age has some influence on this idea. The internet may just be a new way to leave a "legacy"
                  Turtle

Comment

It's been years, but Clear and John were pretty, though small. No trail from one to the other at the time, but John was easily reached from Clear; I don't know what the blowdown situation is like today. As I recall it, cliffs above John, but I didn't attempt the climb to the view.

Stripperguy has suggested Spectacle a couple of times on this forum, but I haven't been there.

Comment

Ferris Lake Wild Forest, lots to discover, not a lot of people. Except Nine Corner.

Andy shares maps of campsites and outdoor activities in New York State and other nearby states where he explores, and his thoughts on many interesting topics.

this should get you started... and don't look n the Silver Lake Wilderness Area... nothing but trees....
                      Last edited by Riosacandaga; 08-17-2012, 02:47 AM. Reason: can't sleep.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X