Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
richard p

Railroad Tracks in the St Regis Canoe Area

Hello. Does anyone know if it is legal /acceptable to walk on the railroad tracks? There looks to be plenty of remote areas that could be fun to explore. thanks!
richard p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:18 PM   #2
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

I'd imagine the legal question of someone walking on the tracks during summer would have to be researched with state DEC and DOT. Travel corridor UMP might be a good starting point.

The tracks are used during winter for snowmobile trail (C-7) and are often skied on by x/c skiers.

However, during the summer all of the rotten wooden ties are exposed and walking can be a treacherous exercise in looking for your footing with little chance to look at surrounding scenery unless you stop.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #3
Wldrns

If you have ever tried to walk on RR ties, you will discover that the frequency of spacing is mostly incompatible with human pacing. It is awful. Plus most places I have seen are not that scenic where the RR runs.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:21 PM   #4
montcalm
Mobster

Walk off to the side and keep your eyes and ears open, never had a problem and have run into DOT workers on the tracks.

WTBS, I really don't know if it's legal. Do it at your own risk and don't expect to win a lawsuit if you injure yourself.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:57 AM   #5
richard p

Railroad Tracks

Many thanks. I did not know that snowmobilers and skiers used the tracks in winter. I guess it would be ok to walk on them in the summer. I have done short distances before (I usually challenge my daughters to see who can walk farthest on the rail) so I know it is a pain. Good boots are key or walking on the side of the tracks if it gets too cumbersome.
richard p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:31 PM   #6
tgoodwin

Yes, it is definitely legal to walk on that rail corridor as it is state property and is definitely used for recreational activities during the winter. No need to worry about any rail traffic as the Adirondack Scenic Railroad no longer has a permit to run trains on the section between Tupper Lake and Lake Placid. This lack of a permit is in advance of the construction of a rail trail between these two points. Once constructed, the two best uses will be summer bicycling and winter snowmobiling; but walking/hiking and cross-country skiing will be fully-permitted uses.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:49 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
If you have ever tried to walk on RR ties, you will discover that the frequency of spacing is mostly incompatible with human pacing. It is awful. Plus most places I have seen are not that scenic where the RR runs.
I have heard that this is/was intentional, so as to discourage human foot traffic from using railroad rights of way.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:27 AM   #8
Bob K

FYI - biking between or adjacent to the rails is no fun either, even with a fat bike at low tire pressures. A ranger I know tried numerous biking options too without success.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:55 PM   #9
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I have heard that this is/was intentional, so as to discourage human foot traffic from using railroad rights of way.
It certainly works! I tried hiking the ADK tracks out of Big Moose once, made it to Buck Pond about 1/2 mile down the tracks and bagged it from there!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:04 PM   #10
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
It certainly works! I tried hiking the ADK tracks out of Big Moose once, made it to Buck Pond about 1/2 mile down the tracks and bagged it from there!
In college, my roommate and I hiked the entire Jackrabbit Trail in a single day (Keene to Paul Smiths) on a dare. We were still going pretty strong when we reached Saranac Lake, but the 5 miles or so of the trail along the railroad tracks west out of Saranac Lake absolutely destroyed our feet. Those 5 miles were pure torture.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote