Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2016, 10:29 PM   #21
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by river View Post
That's also when you hunted in blue jeans cotton socks and your work boots along with a red wool jacket. I miss the easy going low tech days!! haha
You must've seen a photo of me from those days. I still wear the green checked wool jacket, at least when it cools down. And we still have a well seasoned hunter in our group (he's 75) that hunts in jeans. Oh, and a red wool coat.

Here's a link to that photo a hiker took of our crew last year and then sent it to me. http://www.adkforum.com/showpost.php...7&postcount=71
Old 11-11-2016, 03:33 PM   #22
MarkE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
This kind of topic only stirs up unnecessary controversy and leaves everyone with a bad taste. Look back, there have been many similar threads that invite the non hunting side of the forum to chime in. Only leads to the thread being shut down in the end.
I'm not a hunter and I feel invited (and perhaps compelled) to chime in.

The experience 1894 had rots. No excuses. Like hiking, paddling, and stamp collecting, hunting is a hobby. It seems to have more in common with hiking than stamp collecting and one would hope any hikers would recognize that.

Glad you got your deer.
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
This is why I always hunted off the well travelled trails.
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
I remember the old days (1970s & 1980s) when the only other people you saw in the woods during deer season were other hunters. Times have changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by river View Post
That's also when you hunted in blue jeans cotton socks and your work boots along with a red wool jacket. I miss the easy going low tech days!! haha
No blue jeans for me and my feet froze in my leather work boots .
The rest : not hunting places easily accessed by whomever , wool pants & coat , and very rarely seeing anyone else while hunting unless it was planned ahead of time , still applies to where I choose to hunt ( or mostly just take one of my old fashioned lever guns out for a nice walk in the fresh air , rain or snow )
PS. I liked the green and black plaid as well , until my Dad watched me going through some thick pines and mentioned that the green blended in and I looked a lot like a bear in those shadows

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

Last edited by 1894; 11-12-2016 at 01:38 PM..
1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE View Post
I'm not a hunter and I feel invited (and perhaps compelled) to chime in.

The experience 1894 had rots. No excuses. Like hiking, paddling, and stamp collecting, hunting is a hobby. It seems to have more in common with hiking than stamp collecting and one would hope any hikers would recognize that.

Glad you got your deer.
I appreciate your input. Not my deer , nor was I part of that hunt.
I leave camp on foot and enjoy just being out there in the woods mostly in solitude. I had the offer to join the hunt , but declined like I always do .
Some neighbors do choose to drive a couple miles to where there are more deer / sq mile , those parts of the road are public and although it is rude , making noise on a trail barely crosses the line of harassment (IMHO).

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:40 PM   #25
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
I remember the old days (1970s & 1980s) when the only other people you saw in the woods during deer season were other hunters. Times have changed.
Quite honestly, I think that is still normal for fall hunting at least. I've been hunting off a few trails in the central ADK's, and with the exception of one run-in off of Chain Lakes Rd., the only other people I've seen or encountered have been other hunters (and I haven't even seen many hunters at that). As I drive Rte 28, all the popular trailheads that are normally teeming with cars during the summer months are now pretty much deserted, except for a random pickup here and there (which I'll guess are hunters rather than hikers).

As the winter closes in and the snow starts to fall, I just can't foresee running into many hikers wanting to go out and deal with the harsh weather. Of course, knowing the type of people who frequent this forum, I'm sure there are a few intrepid souls out there who will disagree. Still, I've seen far more hunters than I do hikers or paddlers during this last month or so.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:03 AM   #26
Buckladd

Perhaps it's the area I hunt, which is the mountains on both the east and west shores near Lake George. But the trailheads were loaded with hikers yesterday and last weekend as well. We only met them on the drive out.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:30 AM   #27
Terasec

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1894 View Post
I those parts of the road are public and although it is rude , making noise on a trail barely crosses the line of harassment (IMHO).
depends on what their intentions are
if they happen to be a loud group, nothing wrong with that, they could be loud talkers, laughing having a good time, or just trying to keep bears away.
but if their intention is to disrupt someones hunting that is against the law
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #28
Trail Boss

FWIW, yesterday (Sunday) I met two hunters on Santanoni Road just minutes into my hike to the Santanoni Range. Older gents clad in camo and forest-green wool felt jackets. They were signed in as a party of four and appeared to waiting for someone. I wished them "Good Hunting! and "Good Luck!" and went my way (they replied "Thank you!").

If any of them are members of this forum, let me know if it was a productive day.

FWIW, I didn't see any game all day. It was pretty quiet in the Santanonis; a total of only 5 hikers (including me) had signed in (plus Ranger Jeffries).
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote