Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2016, 07:07 PM   #1
Stew0576

New to deep woods hunting

If your deep woods hunting what is the easiest way to pack out your deer/ bear
Stew0576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:13 AM   #2
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

I use an ATV when outside of the Blue Line, I have pulled 12 deer out with it. Perhaps a deer buggy and a helper would be appropriate for deep woods taken deer,
Old 08-21-2016, 09:33 AM   #3
geogymn

Deer cart or quarter & carry.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
Stew0576

Can you bone it and pack out the meat?
Old 08-21-2016, 12:45 PM   #5
Mallard1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew0576 View Post
Absolutely. Why more guys in the adks don't do it is strange. Get a good frame pack, quarter, and pack out.
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:29 PM   #6
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew0576 View Post
Good question, but I think not.
The meat gives no evidence of the sex of the animal, you may be accused of taking an illegal animal.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:33 PM   #7
forgedin78

Why couldn't you pack out the antlers with the meat? Wouldn't that be good evidence of buck vs doe?
forgedin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:46 PM   #8
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgedin78 View Post
Why couldn't you pack out the antlers with the meat? Wouldn't that be good evidence of buck vs doe?
Methinks testicles would do the trick?
Old 08-22-2016, 07:47 PM   #9
Stew0576

Take a picture, lol, I see your point, if I get time I will call Dec and ask
Old 08-22-2016, 08:12 PM   #10
Tug Hill

If you quarter in the woods, I think you have to leave evidence of sex. Antlers are not sufficient, I know of 2 does with antlers taken by hunters, in my area . One had a small 8 pt rack.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:13 PM   #11
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

Not a hunter, but assuming you're doing the Right Thing, what are the odds that a) you'll run into a ranger, b) he won't believe you, and c) what's the penalty?
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:24 PM   #12
forgedin78

I see your point about antlers not being proof of sex, because I have seen does with antlers too. However I was told that does with antlers, (obviously of legal length) must be tagged with a buck tag anyway. So by that logic, the antlers are what matters to the dec for proof of sex.
forgedin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:07 PM   #13
Tug Hill

Anyone could carry a skull cap with antlers into the woods, shoot an illegal antlerless deer and say the antlers were from that deer. So I would not count on the DEC being OK with antlers the only proof of sex.
Much harder for the DEC a to argue sex of a deer if a hunter had antlers, and a hind quarter having a penis, scrotum , and testicles attached.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:22 PM   #14
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Aside from Jim's point which is certainly valid, what's the difference carrying out quarters or dragging a whole deer minus the gut sack? Not much in the area of weight. Besides, leaving two quarters behind is inviting Mr. Scavenger let alone Mr. Bear who didn't get the message to hibernate. If it's snowmobile weather you're okay. If it's a warm autumn day, you' better be in shape or have a buddy with a walkie talkie close by.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:31 AM   #15
Stew0576

Jim the odds are pretty good in a lot of areas, penalty is they take the animal, they revoke your license for multiple years, take your gun, and give you a ticket
Old 08-23-2016, 11:10 AM   #16
Fly Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
Aside from Jim's point which is certainly valid, what's the difference carrying out quarters or dragging a whole deer minus the gut sack? Not much in the area of weight. Besides, leaving two quarters behind is inviting Mr. Scavenger let alone Mr. Bear who didn't get the message to hibernate. If it's snowmobile weather you're okay. If it's a warm autumn day, you' better be in shape or have a buddy with a walkie talkie close by.
We hunt in a wilderness area, so no motorized vehicles. I've dragged out four deer in the last three seasons (twice with one other guy, once with three others, and once with a whole gaggle) from 2-4 miles deep. Dragging a deer more than a few hundred yards sucks. Antlers constantly get caught on beech-whips and blowdown, there are swamps and creeks to cross (exposing the body cavity to all sorts of things), and dragging a deer behind you is not a natural position and your arms and shoulders get sore real quick.

I'm done with dragging if it's by myself or in a small party. We hunt in a group and when there's a full party at camp, we might have 12-15 guys. We'll drag then, sure. Nothing like the sight of a big buck on the meat pole in front of camp.

Quarters, or better yet, boning them out, allows them to be packed in a sturdy frame pack combined with some trekking poles to steady yourself over uneven terrain which makes it easier to get them out. Your hips and thighs can carry a helluva lot more than your arm can drag. Western backcountry hunters typically bone out most everything and can get an elk out of the mountains in 2-3 solo trips with loads approaching and exceeding 100 lbs. 40-50 lbs of boned out whitetail plus a head or just antlers can be done by one guy. Leave the hide (or 1/2 if you're getting a mount done), bones, and guts for the forest to reclaim. And I'll damned if I'm going to drag a 300lb+ bear out of the woods.

Randy Newberg has an excellent video demonstrating the gutless method:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbnp82DWMCE

NYSDEC regs are not explicit in quartering or boning out animals to pack out, but contact your local EnCon officer for guidance. Leaving evidence of sex attached to a quarter or the largest piece of meat is easy enough, bring a ziplock bag and rubber band cover the scrotum or penis so that it doesn't contact your meat.
Fly Rodder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #17
Stew0576

Thanks fly that was my thoughts in a nutshell
Old 08-23-2016, 03:29 PM   #18
backcountry

While it is not a common practice in NY, quartering, deboning and packing out a deer or bear is legal to do - please refer to page 18, section titled Tagging, Transporting and Reporting of the 2016-2017 NY Hunting & Trapping guide.

As Fly Rodder mentioned with the video link, I utilize the gutless method to breakdown an animal. I carry on my back a Badlands 2200 pack and have in it a small tarp, game bags, Buck 110 folding knife, paper and pen. I lay the animal on the tarp before I break it down to help prevent dirt, leaves, etc from contaminating the meat. I also hang the quarters/meat in a tree to cool (I find it helps with taste of the final table fare) as I break down the animal. Within each game bag of meat, I place the necessary information of my tag on a piece of paper and seal it in a zip lock bag. One of my hindquarters always contains evidence of the sex still attached to it and like Fly Rodder mentioned it is wrapped in a plastic bag to keep from touching the meat.

At first, it took me some time to convince my hunting buddies to do this until they realized they could keep hunting instead of dragging. As I am breaking down an animal, they can continue to hunt. Also, they can still hunt as we are packing the animal out - something they couldn't do before when we dragged animals out. I will say, it does get interesting if one of your hunting partners harvests an animal as well.
backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:18 PM   #19
Mallard1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcountry View Post
While it is not a common practice in NY, quartering, deboning and packing out a deer or bear is legal to do - please refer to page 18, section titled Tagging, Transporting and Reporting of the 2016-2017 NY Hunting & Trapping guide.

As Fly Rodder mentioned with the video link, I utilize the gutless method to breakdown an animal. I carry on my back a Badlands 2200 pack and have in it a small tarp, game bags, Buck 110 folding knife, paper and pen. I lay the animal on the tarp before I break it down to help prevent dirt, leaves, etc from contaminating the meat. I also hang the quarters/meat in a tree to cool (I find it helps with taste of the final table fare) as I break down the animal. Within each game bag of meat, I place the necessary information of my tag on a piece of paper and seal it in a zip lock bag. One of my hindquarters always contains evidence of the sex still attached to it and like Fly Rodder mentioned it is wrapped in a plastic bag to keep from touching the meat.

At first, it took me some time to convince my hunting buddies to do this until they realized they could keep hunting instead of dragging. As I am breaking down an animal, they can continue to hunt. Also, they can still hunt as we are packing the animal out - something they couldn't do before when we dragged animals out. I will say, it does get interesting if one of your hunting partners harvests an animal as well.
Great advice!! It's always seemed odd to me, but I think it's just a northeast thing to drag deer out whole. Out west, it wouldn't even be a thought to not bone out a deer or Elk. If it's possible and it's an easy drag then go for it, but if you are hunting deep then prepare to bone out and pack out. Just be prepared, have a good pack, and a game plan. It seems many hunters are about dragging deer out of the real deep woods when they should prepare and pack that big woods buck out in quarters.
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:40 PM   #20
Buckladd

Cool stuff on how different hunters get it done. I've dragged alone and with a group. Larry Benoit always suggested getting the upper body off the ground. We all carry those orange drag straps with ropes. We'll find a good stick about three feet long, tie it to the antlers, put a guy and each side and off we go. Once we dragged on a side-hill and had guys in the back keeping the back legs even. It's work, but we get 'em out. A few years back we got three bucks on one drive with just four guys. We dragged them all from state land to a friend's private property line, borrowed his ATV, piled them on and took them out the last 3/4 mile. That was something! As my Uncle used to say, "I'd rather drag all day than not."
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote