Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2018, 04:30 PM   #41
Wooden builder

Im down in PA and I have been anxiously waiting for ice out this year more than most due to the purchase of a new canoe and other gear over the winter. As soon as Ice out occurs Im heading north. Watching the weather roll through the north east over the last several weeks is killing me.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:25 PM   #42
EagleCrag

See the update from Ryan Ball on the Opener Reports thread in the Hunting and Fishing section. Looks like we have a couple weeks to wait yet.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:04 AM   #43
Justin
Moving along

Ponds in the Pharaoh region still had ice on them this past weekend. The good news is that it is getting really soft...I tried to walk out onto Berrymill Pond and broke through up to my knees.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:07 AM   #44
TCD

Glad it was just knee deep! Ponds are like a booby trap now; I think they are going to go out very suddenly this year. We were rock climbing in the warm sun yesterday (T shirt weather), and it was funny to drive by Chapel Pond and see it still stubbornly iced over. I think most ponds will go out in the next couple days.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #45
dpc34

Inman pond in the LG area....still lots of ice and snow....enjoy
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #46
Wldrns

Still large piles of snow in my yard and deep snowbanks along the road from the winter (spring) town road plowing.

Overly Optimistic? I took a chance and removed the snowblower from my tractor this morning. Just trying to be hopeful at a current temp of 60F. Darn grass will start growing way too soon.

First bike ride yesterday put me in heavy slush on sheltered areas of woods roads.

Last edited by Wldrns; 04-23-2018 at 12:16 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:34 PM   #47
bluequill

Good skiing at the VIC yesterday. Solid ice on all the waters today.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:57 AM   #48
Tug Hill

Received a report yesterday, that over the weekend they were still ice fishing on Raquette Lake. Hinckley is still iced over.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:21 PM   #49
NEranger21

Almost all the ice is out on Middle Saranac, and folks were paddling Fish Creek..Here's to hoping the next few days of rain knock the hell outta the ice!
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM   #50
WalkingStick

Serious question because I'm trying to learn more and am not nearly as dialed in as others on this forum. I feel like I have read on this forum that warm winters and early ice out has impacted the trout fishing in the Adirondacks.

It seems like it would be common sense with warm vs cold but just wanted to see if its that simple.

Does a long winter and late ice out help extend the trout fishing season due to water temperature? Or does a warm spell negate the late ice out and warm the water up just as quickly as if we were to have mild temps throughout?
WalkingStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM   #51
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

Good to hear Middle Saranac is nearly open already. Will be headed up to Fish Creek or St. Regis in 2 weeks.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:39 PM   #52
bluequill

Little Clear is still solid. Ditto for Little Green and Follensby Clear.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:29 PM   #53
TCD

Schroon Lake suddenly opened today. Chapel Pond still iced over, except at the inlet.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote