Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
CCarr518

Question Favorite Camp Site in Lake George?

Hello all,

I am planning on bringing my girlfriend on her first camping experience. I am hoping to find lean-to site or tent site that is a little less popular, preferably near a nice body of water, and easy to get to (less than 5 miles). I want to give her the chance to experience the outdoors without having to exert herself too much. I was thinking of staying at one of the smaller lakes near Black Mountain and then hiking either Black or Sleeping Beauty the next day, but I am not very familiar with the lake george region and am always open to new ideas!

Thanks in advance.
-C
CCarr518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
jan

The Lapland Pond lean-to is a nice site, and an easy hike in. I don't know how much overnight traffic it gets. The hike up Black from there is also fairly easy, with a loop down past a couple other ponds possible.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
Bob K

Lapland gets a bit more traffic than others camping locations in that region so may not be the best spot as it is a relatively short hike and well known. Note too that if you want to be certain to have some privacy, a lean to may not be the best plan. In theory, others who arrive after you can join up to the capacity. There are also more recent concerns about higher risk from undesirable critters (mice) at leantos vs. tenting.

Look for a Private message with more info on options for you. I think there are better options with similar length car rides, water location and surely less than a 5 mile walk in.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:43 AM   #4
mossarden

I love being in remote places ...with nobody around...but ...I will say, there is a lot to be said for a designated camping site, especially if you are bringing a beginner. Also, as noted, there's no guarantees you won't have company, or passers-thru at lean-to's or other undesignated sites. If you want her to enjoy the experience, I highly recommend finding your way to an island site on George. I mean, if you're going to Lake George, you might as well enjoy this incredible lake! ....not just looking at it from a mountain trail while your swatting mosquitoes. If not an island site, then there are some camping sites near the lake, on the road that leads to Shelving Rock and Log Bay. Lake side is a nice short hike away from them...as well as surrounding hikes.
mossarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
debmonster
No Ramen Allowed

I like Fishbrook Pond, since there are two lean-to options, and a really, really nice area to camp on the south end of the pond at the point just west of the lean-to. I believe it's only 4 miles from Hogtown Road (or about 2 miles from Dacy Clearing if the access road is open) to the pond, so it does get a fair amount of visitors, but I've always found room to set up my tent. You can make a loop hike out of it and climb Sleeping Beauty, which has excellent views. TelemarkMike has a great hiking blog with a trip report for this area:
http://www.offonadventure.com/2011/1...nd-111211.html

Or, if you have access to a boat or kayaks to get you to one of the island campsites on the lake, I'd highly recommend Juanita Island.
Enjoy!
debmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:08 AM   #6
rbi99

Fishbrook is a real pretty spot, and when we were there several weeks ago we never saw anyone. However, there is a good amount of uphill hiking until you get past Sleeping Beauty Mountain. If your girlfriend is ok with that, Fishbrook would be very nice, with the added bonus that there are several very nice ponds that you can day hike to.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:44 AM   #7
Vinegar

Coming in from the north is a little easier and you can hike Black, but it doesn't have the views that Buck or Sleeping Beauty do. The hike down to Black Mt Point and back up to Fishbrook is really nice though, a bit difficult coming up. When I was there a few weeks ago, the northern Fishbrook, Millman, and Lapland leantos were taken by groups with tents on the trail. I didn't check it out but the Greenland leanto is supposed to be less visited and only a mile detour. I count it as almost exactly five miles from the parking area.

How far are you willing to drive? Does a stream count as a body of water?
Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #8
jcumo

Pharaoh Lake is an awesome beginner hike. There are multiple lean tos at the lake and people have actually "abandoned" canoes there. Rangers leave them alone and if you bring a paddle and life vest you can take them out on the lake. The views at the lake are great! I used it as the 1st backpacking trip for my family with small kids.

The first part of the trail is high traffic but most of the traffic stops as you get to the lean tos.

There is a small mountain there but its barely worth climbing.
jcumo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, hiking, lake george