Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2016, 11:23 AM   #1
Dave Bourque

Question Canoe Carts

I'm looking for any advice on canoe carts. I ready to purchase one. I'm looking for something that is rugged so it can take a beating and handle heavy loads. I'm willing to spend more money to get a quality product. I've been searching on-line to find there are numerous choices - many of which seem very similar. Is there a cart out there that is clearly better than the rest? Thanks.
Dave Bourque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:20 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

http://www.adkforum.com/search.php?searchid=2899560
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #3
RichieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bourque View Post
I'm looking for any advice on canoe carts. I ready to purchase one. I'm looking for something that is rugged so it can take a beating and handle heavy loads. I'm willing to spend more money to get a quality product. I've been searching on-line to find there are numerous choices - many of which seem very similar. Is there a cart out there that is clearly better than the rest? Thanks.
IMHO- there is only one. I will say I immediately made some improvements so the upper tubes don't collapse, and the wheel races were shipped loose. SO I'd repack and adjust those- take it to a bike shop if you don't know how. There is a trick of not overtightening them- in fact the race is not tightened at all, but screwed in till just perfect- no looser or tighter than that, then an opposing nut keeps it in place - but the frame and wheels will take everything you roll them over, forever, with too much weight... I can attest to that.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABEL...0DaQ&gclsrc=ds
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:16 PM   #4
MrKawfey

I was all set to chide Ritchie for his humble opinion, after all, the one I use is clearly the best. However, I clicked his link and, well..., he might be right.

http://www.davisnet.com/product/whee...xtra-capacity/

That's the one I use, however it seems to be discontinued. I like the skinny wheels on the one Ritchie posted better for going over roots and rocks. I would be curious to see if it handles mud and sand as well as the balloon tires on mine though.
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:29 PM   #5
MrKawfey

Also, for the record, I have one similar to the aluminum version shown in the Cabela's link and I would not recommend it. It puts the canoe too low and you end up stooping over too much while pulling.
Old 11-13-2016, 03:06 PM   #6
MrKawfey

Talk about luck! I had never seen the type of cart that Ritchie posted but after checking it out I was lusting mightily. However, with 2 carts already in my possession I couldn't justify spending the money.
Last week, look what showed up at my church rummage sale for $10! I'm a lucky man
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161112_131823 (Mobile).jpg (94.2 KB, 41 views)