Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2016, 06:51 PM   #1
IndLk_Brett

Most Unexpected Trail Sighting??

Hi all. Thought I would start this post asking what the most unexpected thing that you have ever seen/come across while out hiking in the Adirondacks was? Looking for the cases where it was about the last thing you ever expected to see that day. Something unique, shocking, funny, crazy, lucky... whatever the case. Maybe you came upon a few moose all together, a hiker in a business suit, a house cat in the middle of nowhere...?

For example - Just last fall my Dad and I were hiking the West Canada Lakes loop. We were plodding along on our first afternoon walking on the NPT next to Cedar Lakes when we rounded a bend in the trail and crossed paths with a group of six women. In and of itself no big deal, but what was interesting and unique about this particular group of ladies was that they were all Amish women dressed in their traditional dresses and headwear. Now, of course, there is no reason why they can't or shouldn't be on the trail, but I can honestly say that that group was about the last thing I expected to see rounding the bend out that far in the wilderness. They all had gigantic packs which were almost making me sore just by looking at them. Throughout our trip we came across trail registers and several lean-to journals in which they had made entries. Using these we were able to get an idea of the pace they were moving and miles they covered and I can tell you it was FAST and far. I've been told they are people generally known for working a hard day and I can attest that these particular women hiked hard as well. We chatted with a few of the women a bit and they all were very friendly, in good spirits and seemed to be enjoying the area immensely.

Maybe this occurrence isn't quite as rare as we supposed it to be, but it is certainly something neither my father nor I had seen before or since. Anyone else care to share a story?

Last edited by IndLk_Brett; 07-21-2016 at 06:00 PM..
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:21 PM   #2
MrKawfey

Spotted this guy on the trail to Big Eddy via Whitehouse a few years ago. This is just how we found him (although, I confess, we did add the ferns)
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:31 PM   #3
adkman12986

Believe it or not while hiking between Lows lake and the upper end of Crandberry years ago I came across a white faced Hereford cow, Someone in Childwold had 2 get loose and one ended up there
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:06 PM   #4
IndLk_Brett

MrKawfey:

That kind of reminds me of this fellow who hangs out along the trail up Goodnow Mtn:

(Hopefully this pic works now - still learning the in's and out's of posting here...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0818 copy 4.jpg (93.2 KB, 425 views)

Last edited by IndLk_Brett; 07-22-2016 at 02:43 AM..
Old 07-21-2016, 10:11 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Interesting thread!
Funny that you mention Amish...
One of my most unexpected trail sightings was also near Cedar Lakes.

I may have told this story before, but I'll share it again here real quick...
It wasn't so much an "unexpected trail sighting", more like an "unexpected trail sighting that I never saw"...

Several years ago my dog & I were hiking into Cedar Lakes via the Pillsbury Mountain trailhead, and since it was pretty early in the morning & late in the season, I wasn't really too concerned about running into other people along the trail on their way out. At about 3-4 miles in, my dog had gained a little bit of ground on me, and went around a bend in the trail just in front of me. I lost sight of her for a moment, and then I heard her give out one loud bark.

I immediately called for her, and she immediately came running back to me, and through the trees ahead I could see 2 people coming down the trail toward us. For that split second it looked like the the person in front was wearing a large hat (not unlike an Amish hat), and carrying a large frame pack. The person in back seemed to be much smaller and was only a few steps behind.

As I looked down & gained control of my dog & then rounded the bend in the trail, there was nobody there!
Nothing!
No one was in the trail up ahead, and no one responded to my vocal apology for letting my dog get too far ahead.

To this day I have no idea what or who my dog & I saw exactly, and would find it extremely odd if it was 2 people who chose to hide and keep quiet as we rounded the bend & passed by after my dog barked at them, and after I saw them with my own eyes.

Weird!

Last edited by Justin; 07-21-2016 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: Typos
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:16 PM   #6
MrKawfey

Brett, can't see your picture, the suspense is killing me!
Old 07-22-2016, 02:53 AM   #7
IndLk_Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKawfey View Post
Brett, can't see your picture, the suspense is killing me!
Could you please let me know if it's visible now? I hope I did it correctly this time. Think I may have had the size of the file too large previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

For that split second it looked like the the person in front was wearing a large hat (not unlike an Amish hat), and carrying a large frame pack. The person in back seemed to be much smaller and was only a few steps behind.

To this day I have no idea what or who my dog & I saw exactly, and would find it extremely odd if it was 2 people who chose to hide and keep quiet as we rounded the bend & passed by after my dog barked at them, and after I saw them with my own eyes.

Weird!
Don't know about the person in lead, but from what I have read French Louie was a very short, small man and you were, after all, stomping through his neck of the woods.. haha just sayin'!

Last edited by IndLk_Brett; 07-22-2016 at 03:15 AM..
Old 07-22-2016, 08:44 AM   #8
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndLk_Brett View Post
Don't know about the person in lead, but from what I have read French Louie was a very short, small man and you were, after all, stomping through his neck of the woods.. haha just sayin'!
Ha!
I did visit his cave later that same day, and as matter of fact I just chalked it up as Louie and his side kick Jim Sturges.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #9
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Two very surprised looking faces yesterday. The expression of panic on the young bear's face and one of terror on mine as our gaze met as he came up out of a ditch within ten feet and we both got surprised. He bounded off while I stood there in stunned silence. I would say he was about two years old while I lost about two years in two seconds.

Last edited by Schultzz; 07-22-2016 at 11:18 AM..
Schultzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
snapper
snapper

If you're willing to expand the parameters of this a bit...I participate in an event on Lake George that is held in October. We replicate, as best we can, the interactions of the various combatants in the French & Indian War over the course of a week. On the evening of a full moon I was on night patrol when I met up with the French Marine who still patrols the island we were on. It was a bit hair raising (actually, the hairs on the back of my neck) but an experience I will always cherish. This ghostly figure is well documented so I didn't feel odd about this encounter. Just a bit awed.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:10 AM   #11
Trail Boss

Most unexpected trail sighting?

This one topped my list:
Reaching the top of Seymour and encountering a couple having sex.

My wife and I now know it as "See more".

Then there was this fine example of face pareidolia:

An apt caption for it would be "Ow!"
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:06 PM   #12
bioguide

My wife and I on our return from a week long late October (the water was cold) canoe camping trip to Cranberry Lake some 20 years ago: We were paddling back to Wanakena past some summer camps and noticed a camp sign that read: Douchere

Last edited by bioguide; 07-22-2016 at 02:38 PM..
bioguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:41 PM   #13
IndLk_Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Ha!
I did visit his cave later that same day, and as matter of fact I just chalked it up as Louie and his side kick Jim Sturges.
In keeping with the "unexpected" theme, we bushwhacked up to there the following day of that same trip and as we explored and took a few photos two hikers suddenly appeared and joined us. They said they had made their way there from somewhere over the backside of the mountain. Talk about unexpected! Other than the Amish group I can only recall us passing two other small groups on the entire loop and then off-trail in the middle nowhere we encounter those two guys.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:27 PM   #14
geogymn

In the Adirondack backcountry I was on a solo jaunt headed from point A to point B, in no hurry, checking out the general flora, when I happened upon a set of man tracks. I decided to follow said tracks as they were headed in the general direction of my desired destination.
As a wise old backcountry hunter I was able to determine, from the stride, that the owner of said tracks was a person somewhat taller that me, somewhat heavier, and undoubtedly a greenhorn, as could be plainly seen as the trail wandered haphazardly.
I was determine to follow these tracks as to see what this knucklehead was doing in this remote part of the woods.
After a while I ran into another set of man tracks and he too was following some knucklehead. It was then I realized that I was the only one in the woods that day. Use your compass!!
Old 07-22-2016, 03:36 PM   #15
IndLk_Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
In the Adirondack backcountry I was on a solo jaunt headed from point A to point B, in no hurry, checking out the general flora, when I happened upon a set of man tracks. I decided to follow said tracks as they were headed in the general direction of my desired destination.
As a wise old backcountry hunter I was able to determine, from the stride, that the owner of said tracks was a person somewhat taller that me, somewhat heavier, and undoubtedly a greenhorn, as could be plainly seen as the trail wandered haphazardly.
I was determine to follow these tracks as to see what this knucklehead was doing in this remote part of the woods.
After a while I ran into another set of man tracks and he too was following some knucklehead. It was then I realized that I was the only one in the woods that day. Use your compass!!
Ha. I suppose it's a really good thing that you never managed to catch up to yourself. Something like that could probably have caused some kind of a tear in space-time!
Old 07-23-2016, 10:09 AM   #16
MrKawfey

One time my wife and I hiked to the top of Seymour and decided to celebrate by having sex. In the middle of the act we heard mysterious laughter from the tree line. After a thorough search we never did find the source!
Old 07-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #17
Trail Boss

Trust me, we weren't laughing. It was our first ascent of Seymour and we gave them their privacy hoping they'd leave soon so we could spend some time at the lookout. Nope. They ducked down and stayed put (now silent). We ate our lunch at the treed summit sign, gave up waiting, and left.

Of the bajillion private spots to f--k in the High Peaks Wilderness Area, the summits ain't one of 'em.

Spare me the "Mile High Club" jokes or "F--king 46ers", I've heard 'em all. If there's ever a next time, I won't be nearly so accommodating. If you pick a public place, like a 46er summit, don't expect privacy.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:34 AM   #18
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
...Spare me the "Mile High Club" jokes or "F--king 46ers", I've heard 'em all. If there's ever a next time, I won't be nearly so accommodating.
4,000 foot fornication?
Maybe next time ask to join in on the fun.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:45 PM   #19
Trail Boss

I've heard that too and much more. Spare me the re-runs.

Are you married Justin? Are you and your wife swingers?

I am married and we aren't swingers. Most hiking couples aren't seeking other couples for coupling.

Trust me, their reaction was more "I wish we could make ourselves invisible" rather than "join the party".
Old 07-23-2016, 01:05 PM   #20
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
I've heard that too and much more. Spare me the re-runs.

Are you married Justin? Are you and your wife swingers?

I am married and we aren't swingers. Most hiking couples aren't seeking other couples for coupling.

Trust me, their reaction was more "I wish we could make ourselves invisible" rather than "join the party".
Copy. Please forgive me, was just being silly. I'm stuck at home this weekend instead of playing in the Adks. Your story struck me as funny. I'll spare you anymore attemps at humor. No not married... I'm crazy, but not that crazy!