Photo Theme: Boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripperguy,

The SOF is a bit over 17' and 21" wide , the weight is ~35 lbs but the boat is way overbuilt. I've thought of building another about 15' long and less of the Greenland angle to the bow and stern . Would be able to be 25-28 pounds no problem. You'd spend $3000+ for a boat of that weight without the unique individuality and eye appeal.

I'm working on a design for a stripper I may build this summer somewhat like your DY but being a big guy, 6'3" 220 lbs I'm looking at a bit wider boat at ~30 1/2" wide. When kneeling I like my knees a bit wider apart. looking at a boat 16'8" long x 30 1/2" , 13" deep a bit more rocker than my previous boat and shoot for 33-35 lbs. Looking for an all round boat for tripping, fishing etc but still have a good bit of speed when I want it. The one difference I do verus your boats is inwales only and made with 3 strips laminated inside the boat. This gives plenty of stiffness is light and keeps the gunwale width at the paddle position as narrow as possible. I also have worked some flair into the bow to add volume above the waterline to handle big waves on the Adirondack lakes and moderate whitewater.

I've been thinking of paddling the Connecticut River from source to sea, this would be a good choice for that trip.

John M.
    Because It's There, and it may not be tomorrow

Comment

• Yesterday was a perfect day to be in the Adirondacks - black flies are not biting yet. Photo of Woodhull Creek - just above Sand Lake Falls.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Here's my newly not-finished 15 ft solo, a "Kite" design, by J Waters.

And here's Connecticut Yankee trying it out

Comment

• Just thought i'd share a picture I took last week.
          -Jeremy-

Comment

• After the Black River Challenge canoe race, 29 June 2014. This slender voyageur seats 7 crew, in linear fashion.
            Attached Files
            "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

• A 40 year Old Town, and still kicking!
              This past weekend marks yet another trip to Crane Pond for the "Blue Goose":

Comment

• Justin ... the Blue Goose looks kinda green to me ...
                sigpic

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.

Comment

• Originally posted by kwc View Post
                  Justin ... the Blue Goose looks kinda green to me ...
                  It has been repainted a 'Forest Green' several times, but 'sky blue' scratches on the hull can still be seen if you look closely.

Comment

• Trying to post pics of the raddy...
                    At Mason Lake ,with Snowy Mtn in the far background.

And how I pond hop.
                    Last edited by ADKpondhopper; 08-09-2014, 05:15 PM. Reason: finally success !!!
                    "Too Much" / "It's coming off the leaves" A.M 1914-2005 Thank you for everything Pon, you started it all!

Comment

• Originally posted by ADKpondhopper View Post
                      Trying to post pics of the raddy...

It's easiest if you first post your photos to a hosting site...Picasa, Photobucket, Flicker, etc.
                      Then it's a simple matter to link from there.
                      If you try to directly post your photo, it will need to be a very small file size.

Comment

• Shout out to Justin and Stripperguy for helping me figure out the picture posting !!!! Finally got it thanks guys.
                        "Too Much" / "It's coming off the leaves" A.M 1914-2005 Thank you for everything Pon, you started it all!

Comment

• I am going to have to post some pictures here of my toys when I get home from work. I think a few of you guys will like them! It's time to give this thread some lovin'!

Comment

• I'm back, thought I'd share some images of my boats. The first two and last images are my 16' Cedar Strip that I built when I was 18, 6 years ago. It weighs 56lbs (A bit heavy) and 30" beam. Images taken by my Fiance. Third photo is my grandfathers guideboat, this is one of 15 that he built. For some reason I can never remember whether it was Grant or Parsons he modeled his boats off of. Either way, this one is 14' 6" and weighs in at 44lbs. All his guideboats were traditionally built, sawn spruce stumps and quartersawn white pine planking, no glass or anything. The 4th photo is a 14'6" stitch and glue kayak I built for my stepmother, this is a nice kayak. I've also got two knockaround kayaks, but nobody cares about those. I'm currently working on a 10'6" Solo strip canoe right now. Enjoy!
                            Attached Files

Comment

• tgebhardt,
                              Nice boats and nice photos...are you sure about that 4th photo being a S & G kayak?

Comment

• Whoops! looks like the file was too large so it didn't upload! That sure is a strange looking kayak isn't it!? Here is the re-sized photo. It is a Shearwater Sport from CLC boats.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X