Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2019, 06:39 PM   #1
trapperpete

Best days of the rut for 2019?

Im looking to spend a week in the adks. Whats every ones rut prediction this year with full moon being nov 12?
trapperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:34 PM   #2
1bluefin

Best days of the rut.

Traditionally for me itís the first two weeks in November.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:53 PM   #3
Stillhunter

If you want to hunt when the bucks are running around during the day looking for does I would hunt from November 7th through November 14th.
If you are a tracker who can't drop everything to hunt when it snows then I would go the last week of the season which is most likely to have snow cover due to falling average temperatures. This year it is 12/1 to 12/8. This year the season is as late as possible due to the calendar rules used to determine season dates.
I am going to try to be in the woods as much as possible during these 2 weeks.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
Buckladd

Great topic! I've got records for our hunting party dating back to the early 1970s. Most years, regardless of the moon, we have our best luck mid- to late-November, sometimes even into December and the late black powder season.

After some early season rain, things were just starting click for us last year when the big snow came on Nov. 16. We only got two bucks after that, both Thanksgiving week, but had gotten four prior. I'd say on average the sweet spot is from around Veteran's day until late November. But, we've had action both before and after.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:14 PM   #5
Fly Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
I'd say on average the sweet spot is from around Veteran's day until late November. But, we've had action both before and after.
The oldtimer, Parks Keith I think, in Bob Elinskas's book called it buck-killing week.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote