Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics > Gear Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 03:00 PM   #1
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Jetboil French Coffee Press

Product Tested: Jetboil French Coffee press accesory for Jetboil Stove

Price paid, where purchased: $19.95 REI

Size/Weight: Fits in cup/stove 1.08 oz

Similar products tried: Lexan Coffee Press

How long/where tested: One day, at home

Rating 1 to 5: ****

Summary: I was a little wary about paying 19.95 & shipping for this item since there was really no information about it. However, my Love/Addiction to coffee finally convinced me to give it a try.

I have to say that the more I see of Jetboil things, the more impressed I am with the engineering and thought that goes into them. One of my concerns with the coffee press was storage, but as soon as I opened the package, my concerns were swept away. The Coffee Press comes in four pieces, the basket, a replacement lid for the Jetboil (same as the original except that there is a whole in the center for the push rod of the press. Just leave the original cover home as a spare. The rod comes in two pieces which screw together and to the basket. The rods are made of metal so they will not break easily.

Making the coffee is no different then with any other coffee press. Fill the Jetboil cup to the two cup line, Boil the water as normal you can use the cover if you want to speed the boiling process by keeping the press extended to the top of the cup. Once the water is boiling, turn off the stove, remove the cup from the heated base, put the bottom cover on the cup, put three rounded teaspoons of course ground coffee in the cup (more or less coffee depending on individual taste). let stand for about three minutes and then gently lower the coffee press to the bottom of the cup.

You can now pour the coffee into another cup through the slot in the lid or drink directly from the Jetboil. I am happy to report that not one ground got by the basket.

Storage is easy. Clean, unscrew threaded parts. Place basket upside down underneath gas canister. Stow rods together in opening slot of burner base.

Only downside is the fact that the rods are black and good be difficult to locate if misplaced.

Photos follow in separate posts.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Last edited by redhawk; 02-28-2005 at 03:14 PM..
Old 02-28-2005, 03:10 PM   #2
redhawk

Unassembled

The coffee Press before assembly
Old 02-28-2005, 03:11 PM   #3
redhawk

Assembled

The four parts assembled
Old 02-28-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
redhawk

Threaded Rod Storage

Arrow shows where disassembled threaded rods are stored in the stove base for transport.
Closed Thread