Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holmes Lake Snowshoe

Hello All,

Today, I took my two best friends and went snowshoeing out to Holmes Lake. Not an epic outdoor adventure, but a satisfying outing, nonetheless. I had to park out by the road so it made the trip a little longer than usual. I didn't mind.:-) I didn't see or hear any snowmobiles. We had the whole area to ourselves, with the exception of one nice gentleman who was out exploring on X-country skis.

We stopped at the lean-to for lunch. I was dismayed at all the trash. There was even a tent/stakes/poles and an air mattress all balled up and thrown in a corner. Fortunately, I had taken a page from Justin's book, and had brought a big garbage bag just in case I found a mess like this. I couldn't possibly get it all by myself, so I left the tent and few other things that looked usable, and packed out all the other garbage.

After cleaning up, I fired up my new jetboil and made a nice bowl of soup. How wonderful it was to enjoy steaming hot soup while watching the dogs explore the area around the lean-to. Afterward, we made our way down to the lake. Most of it was still frozen but it was open where it drained into a creek. I chose not to go out onto that ice, so after a few minutes we headed home. Anther fabulous day courtesy of Mother Nature.

Here is a link to my facebook photo album of the trip.

Today I strapped on the snowshoes and took the dogs on a trip to Holmes Lake. Holmes lake is really just a lovely little pond with a Lean-to. I won't go there in the summer because it's a bit of a...

And a cute video of the dogs on our "rest" break.

158 views, 6 likes, 0 loves, 0 comments, 2 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Kathy Povey: Here is a video of the dogs on our lunch break. Freakin' goofballs!
    Last edited by Schip; 02-24-2018, 09:02 PM.

Schip, you take nice trips and photos.

Comment

Nice outing! I enjoyed the photos and video! Thanks for sharing it with us!
      "Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Comment

Great picts!

Holmes Lake is a neat little hike. The woods look like they're starting to think about spring? A lot of running water on the trail.

Thanks for cleaning up the junk. Every bit helps.
        Tick Magnet

Comment

Originally posted by Tick Magnet View Post
          Great picts!

Holmes Lake is a neat little hike. The woods look like they're starting to think about spring? A lot of running water on the trail.

Thanks for cleaning up the junk. Every bit helps.
          It was a nice way to spend a few hours. I saw your post about Prairie Lake and I am probably going to do that one too.

Yes, it did feel like spring. But I am skeptical. It IS still Feb. So maybe it's more like January Thaw in Feb, since all we had in Jan was Deep Freeze. I can't believe Mother Nature isn't going to throw another storm at us before the season is over.

I'm a little ashamed to say that until I saw one of Justin's videos, it never occurred to me to bring a bag to haul out garbage. Now I'm going to make it one of my hiking essentials. I never seem to be able to participate in any trail maintenance outings, so this can be my way to contribute.

Maybe we will meet on the trail sometime. You'll know me by the dogs.:-)

Comment

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. It's always nice to see what others are up to. As for winter being over, I agree that we're still in for more snow but one of my true harbingers of spring arrived this morning; red winged blackbirds. I live in central NYS and the earliest I'd ever heard them was last year on March 3rd. While out with my dog this morning their tell tale sound was unmistakable down by my neighbors pond; which is open and hosting a pair of mallards and Hooded mergansers. It caught me off guard to realize it was still February and yet, there they are. Kind of disconcerting if you ask me.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Comment

Snapper I heard a RedWing Blackbird yesterday and finally saw it, or another today. I also have been hearing geese head north and have crocus's blooming in our yard. We'll definitely get snow and freeze again or I'll be an unkeys munkle

Comment

Nice photos!
                Thanks for sharing & for cleaning up!
                Nice looking dogs...What’re their names?

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
                  Nice photos!
                  Thanks for sharing & for cleaning up!
                  Nice looking dogs...What’re their names?
                  The red & white one is "Silly" and the black and
                  white one is "Vigor." We do a dog agility competitions
                  when we aren't out tromping in the woods.

Comment

I think the dogs enjoyed it most of all. I'm sure they were delighted to be out there. Enjoyed your report and pics.

Comment

Nice pics, hopefully there will be more snow there after this week. My bro and I are going to spend the night at the lean-to Saturday, I'll hike out whatever trash is left.

Comment

There definitely should be 'more' snow soon

Comment

Originally posted by cflb56 View Post
                          Nice pics, hopefully there will be more snow there after this week. My bro and I are going to spend the night at the lean-to Saturday, I'll hike out whatever trash is left.
                          That's great. I hope you guys have a good time. Should be PLENTY of snow.

Comment

Working...
                          X