Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
model8
Administrator

Lightbulb snow levels in long lake

does anyone know how much snow is in long lake. i am going up there next weekend for camp and i hope there is only six to eight inches.
any information would be graetly useful and appriciated.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:38 AM   #2
fisher39

There is well under six inches. Here is a super-cool page from the NOAA site that shows snow depth in the NE and is updated daily:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphi...now_depth.html
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
Adkleaddog

Keep in mind that that data is recorded at a specific elevation..usually at a lower station. As you climb there WILL be more snow!

I provide data at several stations in the ADK's to NOAA starting in January, so I'm aware of the process.....

When we left camp yesterday there was about 6-8" inches at 2000', with a lot more coming down....and up....and sideways....

(Age Old Yukon Saying)
Adkleaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:20 PM   #4
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I'm wondering where the "line" was. I'm in Wells and there was intermittent snow all day yesterday, coming down heavily in the morning and lighter at different times during the day.

However, because of the temps, nothing was sticking.

I think that somewhere between Speculator and Indian lake is where it started to stick.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:35 PM   #5
Adkleaddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
I'm wondering where the "line" was. I'm in Wells and there was intermittent snow all day yesterday, coming down heavily in the morning and lighter at different times during the day.

However, because of the temps, nothing was sticking.

I think that somewhere between Speculator and Indian lake is where it started to stick.
It appeared to be sticking and building above 2000' at Piseco....and according to reports it seemed to be just north of Speculator and was less as you go east. The peaks to the west as seen from Warrensburg today (Crane, Long Tom, Mt. Blue) have white tops.

As I drove south on Rt 10 it started to get spotty real quick..with little accumulation at Arietta....this was around 3:30pm.

(Age Old Yukon Saying)
Adkleaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:47 PM   #6
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

According to local reports, Long Lake and Inlet got the worse of the storm. Whether they meant the snow or wind damage too, I don't know.

It wasn't bad here in the Southern Dacks.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:24 PM   #7
chaser
pond jockey

I just came out of the woods near the Johnsburg/Wells line and there wasn't much snow around the road at Rt.8 but up the hill between 1500-1900 feet there was 3 to 4 inches, but melting fast when I left at 1 pm today.
chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:24 PM   #8
Boreal Chickadee

News last night said Old Forge got 10 inches, but Otter Lake only got a few.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:10 PM   #9
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

A DEC "acquaintance" just stopped in for a few and said he heard the Moose River Plains got hit with about 18 inches this last weekend and there was alot of stuck vehicles back in there to deal with (downed trees etc.).
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --
pondhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:11 PM   #10
Emily T
WMass

fisher,
Thanks for that map link! I've been wondering about snow depths myself...planning a trip to Pharoah this weekend.
Trip planning aside, it's still a cool link!

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
-- Mark Twain
Emily T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:58 PM   #11
Boreal Chickadee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondhopper View Post
A DEC "acquaintance" just stopped in for a few and said he heard the Moose River Plains got hit with about 18 inches this last weekend and there was alot of stuck vehicles back in there to deal with (downed trees etc.).
Good thing I went through on Saturday! Made a bit of a detour but stopped at the Northeast regional Quilt Show in Old Forge(fabulous!) and the town was abuzz about the upcoming storm. Once I get my Blizzaks on I'll drive through anything, but until then....So Sunday morning the closest I got was the webcam!
Old 10-30-2006, 10:45 PM   #12
fisher39

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher39 View Post
There is well under six inches. Here is a super-cool page from the NOAA site that shows snow depth in the NE and is updated daily:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphi...now_depth.html
It looks like they updated the map from this morning and Long Lake did get quite a bit of snow!
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote