Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   General Adirondack Discussion (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Island Pond and Long Pond (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=28157)

wiiawiwb 08-11-2021 08:42 AM

Island Pond and Long Pond

I've read with interest several trip reports by Tick Magnet about Island and Long Pond. I'm interested in hiking into both of them. I know you can also approach it from the Lily Pond area as there is a sign indicating a trail to Island Pond.

I have a few questions for anyone who has been in this area:

1) Is there a marked parking area on Padanarum Spur or do you pull off to the side of the road?

2) It appears the trail from Padanarum Spur to Long Pond has a detour around wet spots. Is the detour route fairly visible or should I expect a bushwhack?

3) Is the trail from Grassville Road to Island Pond an easier way to approach Island Pond?

DSettahr 08-11-2021 12:40 PM

I've been there once by way of Grassville Road, back in 2013 as part of a longer day hike trip to visit a bunch of the ponds in the area. From what I remember, the trail was fairly brushy in spots, and the views from the north shore of Island Pond weren't all that great.

wiiawiwb 08-11-2021 03:18 PM

Great pictures. I noticed one picture was of the cedar swamp just before Buttermilk Pond (8th from bottom on left). Last year, I got to the same spot where you took your picture then proceeded up part of the south (right) side of the swamp. I could only go so far before the trail vanished and I decided to turn back. Daylight was fading.

Did you continued up the south (right) side of the cedar swamp?

Next time, I'm considering bushwhacking along one of the sides of the cedar swamp rather than in it.

DSettahr 08-11-2021 03:56 PM

I was coming from Buttermilk Pond, so headed towards Round Pond. I did the Brindle/Buttermilk/Round Pond loop clockwise. As I recall, I pretty much just powered through the heart of the cedar swamp (embracing my wet-footed fate) and eventually picked up the trail on the other side. Although, I don't recall ever fully losing the trail. But this was also now 8 years ago so I'm sure that unless that trail has received any maintenance since, it's probably even more of a challenge to follow these days.

Buckladd 08-11-2021 07:24 PM

[QUOTE=wiiawiwb;286753]:

1) Is there a marked parking area on Padanarum Spur or do you pull off to the side of the road?

Yes, the trail is marked and there is parking for four or five vehicles.

2) It appears the trail from Padanarum Spur to Long Pond has a detour around wet spots. Is the detour route fairly visible or should I expect a bushwhack?

Big beaver pond not too far in that you have to go around. After that, it's a nice road/trail that was once vehicle accessible.

Dave Bourque 08-11-2021 09:28 PM

My last visit was in 2019. At that time, by scouting around, I was able to avoid the wet areas and quickly return to the trail.

Tick Magnet 08-12-2021 08:49 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for reading my TR! :clap:

1.The last time I was there, there was no signage at the Padanarum Spur parking area ( i.e. Park Here), but agree with what everyone says, it's pretty obvious and there is a trail sign and barricade at the start of the walk.
Attachment 20021

2. The beaver pond is fairly extensive, but the unmarked path around it is easy to follow. It branches off to the west (left) of the main trail and winds through some flooded woods. Can't hurt to take a compass bearing just in case. If the water level goes up another foot or two, parts of the detour will be under water as well.
Attachment 20020

3. I can't speak for the trail from Lily Pond as I've never walked it.

One general comment. When you get to Island Pond, there's a really nice rock ledge on the eastern shore.
Attachment 20019
No trail or footpath leads there. It's an easy bushwhack, but goes through some thick stuff and swampy areas (depending on which route you take).

Have fun :)

Buckladd 08-13-2021 07:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I hunt out of camp not too far from there, but seldom get over there (another group of guys does, however). But I did go in there a few years back just to check it out. The ridge just west of the trail as you go towards Long Pond has some good views, at least it did in Mid-November. A few years ago we fished Long Pond. I wanted to take my boat over to Island (photo) and try going down the channel, but we got a late start. Another time.

wiiawiwb 09-06-2021 07:12 PM

Great help, thank you.

Did anyone notice whether there was a place to put a tent down for the night at or on Long Pond?

Tick Magnet 09-07-2021 10:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Yes, there are several designated campsites on Long Pond. There's one large one on the north shore (possibly not designated). I thought the two on the south shore looked more secluded, have some good shore access and would probably have a better supply of firewood.

Attachment 20053
Attachment 20054
Attachment 20055

wiiawiwb 09-21-2021 12:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I finally made it to both Long and Island Ponds. What a beautiful area. I went to the DEC website and they show two primitive sites on each pond. I couldn't link up their map so I plotted them on the map below.

Approaching from Padanarum Road, the two sites on Long Pond (#1 and #2) are on the east side. In order to easily access either of the two sites on Island Pond (#3 and #4), I think I'd need to approach it from Grassville Road.

Has anyone been to any of the sites and which one would you recommend? Unless I missed a path, it looks like it will be a bushwhack to both of the ones on Long Pond. Does that sound right?

Tick Magnet 09-22-2021 07:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Glad you made it back there! It's such a neat place.

As far as the Island Pond campsites, I think the site you labeled #3 should be to the southeast of where you have it plotted. You can easily bushwhack there from where the trail hits Island Pond or over the ridge from the north shore of Long Pond. I found it fairly easy to get there from Padanarum Rd.
Attachment 20086

I can't vouch for #4 as I've never checked it out, but it looks like there's a big swamp between it and the Grassville Rd. trail. More bushwhack opportunities.:thumbs: