Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Horn Lake (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=27105)

Edb 46 er 06-13-2019 04:15 PM

Horn Lake

This question is for some of the Fisherman on the forum. How is the fishing?

Wldrns 06-13-2019 04:30 PM

I had heard in the past that it had its own specific strain of trout. Was supposed to be good fishing back in the day. Don't know about now.

Lucky13 06-13-2019 08:22 PM

For years it was a hatchery lake for the Horn Lake strain, one of only a few remaining "heritage" strains of Brook Trout, and no fishing was allowed. After they opened it to fishing, my understanding was always that the fishing was good (remembering that, often, the fish are just not biting, or at least on what I am using) but it is a LONG way from anywhere, and even longer with the additional 3 or so miles if you go in from the Plains. I've only met a couple of people who ever got back that far.

Wldrns 06-13-2019 10:18 PM

Ive been back by it a few times, most often from the North Lake bushwhack approach. It is a good and quite straightforward navigation exercise.

DSettahr 06-13-2019 11:29 PM

I tried to get there from the Moose River Plains side about 10 years ago via a day hike. The map promised a maintained trail the whole way. As is typical for many "off the beaten path" hikes in the Adirondacks, the map lied. The trail was easy to follow from the end of Indian Lake Road (at the time the road was driveable all the way to Indian Lake itself, now the road is closed at Squaw Lake) through to the Indian River ford. Beyond that point, the road turned into a mess of dense spruce/fir- so thick it was easier to bushwhack alongside the old road than it was to try to hike directly on it. I only made it about maybe a mile beyond the ford before I had to turn back due to the late hour. I told myself that I'd return with overnight gear and make another attempt at getting to Horn Lake, but as of yet, I've not been back.

Wldrns 06-14-2019 05:57 AM

It can get pretty darn thick in there, tough to do in a day hike in and out.

The other way from the north is to drive toward the ALC gate, than take the trail to Natural Rock Dam where the Red River joins the Moose, cross the Moose (in dry years just walk across on the granite natural dam - this year would need a boat). Head south toward Stink Lake Mtn. Pick up a ghost trail that goes either direction around the higher elevations to Stink Lake, then around the west end of Balsam Lake. Pick up the trail on the west side of Indian River to Horn Lake. I did this route in the reverse direction from Horn heading north while carrying a Hornbeck. Did not stop to fish as my destination goal was Plattsburgh at the time.

Edb 46 er 06-14-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wldrns (Post 276243)
Ive been back by it a few times, most often from the North Lake bushwhack approach. It is a good and quite straightforward navigation exercise.

Is there any bit of trail, or, was it 100% bushwhack?

Edb 46 er 06-14-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSettahr (Post 276245)
I tried to get there from the Moose River Plains side about 10 years ago via a day hike. The map promised a maintained trail the whole way. As is typical for many "off the beaten path" hikes in the Adirondacks, the map lied. The trail was easy to follow from the end of Indian Lake Road (at the time the road was driveable all the way to Indian Lake itself, now the road is closed at Squaw Lake) through to the Indian River ford. Beyond that point, the road turned into a mess of dense spruce/fir- so thick it was easier to bushwhack alongside the old road than it was to try to hike directly on it. I only made it about maybe a mile beyond the ford before I had to turn back due to the late hour. I told myself that I'd return with overnight gear and make another attempt at getting to Horn Lake, but as of yet, I've not been back.

sounds a lot like what I was planning to do once. I ended the trip at Sqaw.

Justin 06-14-2019 10:21 AM

Some Horn Lake discussion going on in this thread...
http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=26001

And some past discussions...
http://www.adkforum.com/search.php?searchid=4765960

Wldrns 06-14-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edb 46 er (Post 276253)
Is there any bit of trail, or, was it 100% bushwhack?

I'd call it a faint trail, for a ways anyway, but easily lost unless you are navigating by terrain association techniques. You will then pick it up from time time, recognizing that where you are standing looks like possibly a trail, sort of. I'd advise definitely knowing well map and compass, using handrails, backstops, and intermediate landmarks.

RipVanWinkle 06-14-2019 12:51 PM

Hauled my canoe out there last summer. To be completely honest the fishing wasnt anything to write home about- a few fish about 12". It also seems like it gets a decent amount of pressure considering how remote it is.
I know other guys who have had similar experiences.

Edb 46 er 06-14-2019 01:32 PM

We all will keep it quiet, in there.

Schultzz 06-14-2019 07:53 PM

I wonder if I could land my Turbo Seawind in there. It's a small amphibious STOL plane. Do I need special permission?

Justin 06-14-2019 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edb 46 er (Post 276234)
This question is for some of the Fisherman on the forum. How is the fishing?

There’s only real one way to find out for sure. ;)

Edb 46 er 06-15-2019 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin (Post 276268)
There’s only real one way to find out for sure. ;)

For certain, Justin. Shooting for a time next week.

Edb 46 er 06-15-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wldrns (Post 276256)
I'd call it a faint trail, for a ways anyway, but easily lost unless you are navigating by terrain association techniques. You will then pick it up from time time, recognizing that where you are standing looks like possibly a trail, sort of. I'd advise definitely knowing well map and compass, using handrails, backstops, and intermediate landmarks.

North Lake approach. Wilderness, I was looking on the map for a route southeast of Ice Cave Mt. Other than what looks like a North Black River crossing, it looks (straight forward) approach. I would like to try it at some point.

l

Tug Hill 09-23-2019 03:59 PM

I have fished there many many times, but Have not fished it in at least 10 years, before that it was great fishing, Brookies 12”-16” very common, with an occasional 18” fish.Never was skunked in that lake.
I think pressure from the North Lake side, and people taking more than the 3 fish limit has hurt it. Also, the state used to lime it in winter by helicopters, but they have not done that in a long time.