View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 05:57 PM   #4
Wldrns

Waterfront or not, you need to check the NYSDEC wetlands map. As a bonus on that map site you get the tax parcels delineated with their tax number.

To find the wetlands map go here: http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/38801.html
Then click on the "Enter Environmental Resource Mapper" for the NY wetlands map. Zoom in to the area of interest. Then Click on wetland and reference layers options (tax map) and you will get parcel outlines mapped (with GPS coordinates) with the tax numbers. Check the individual town web pages to get tax numbers referenced to names of landowners to contact to see if they are potential sellers.

I can say this process works great for finding info for land within the town of Forestport. Not sure about other nearby towns. Tonya, the tax assessor, and Lance, the Codes Officer were extremely helpful. I had a DEC ecologist come out to walk the land to officially certify that none of my land was in wetland, even though the DEC map indicated that a part of it was. People have bought land in the area not far away before checking, only to find that their land was legally unbuildable due to wetland restrictions.

My property is a couple of miles outside (west) of the official blue line. Not too many locally-imposed restrictions. I'm sure you know that building restrictions are much greater after you cross to get inside that colored line.

Last edited by Wldrns; 11-13-2017 at 06:11 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote