View Single Post
Old 05-13-2021, 05:26 AM   #10
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I got out of the woods yesterday- did the whole loop, followed the old Quehanna Trail from the Medix Run crossing to Laurel Run (now blazed in yellow and called the "Bear Run Trail"). Trail was very scenic and beautiful- as you've mentioned before Jeff, parts of it do evoke comparisons with the Dolly Sods albeit on a bit smaller of a scale. Similar open heath barrens and bogs. Also some of the deeper hollows with cascading streams were incredibly scenic.

Temps were on the colder side- colder than I'd anticipated. I was also not expecting the 1-2 inches of snow that fell on Sunday night. Made some of the nights a big less comfortable than I'd anticipated but for the most part I was at least able to remain safe. And the nearly 2 inches of rain that fell across the full duration of my traverse also contributed to some challenges (particularly the Medix Run crossing). But on the plus side- very few bugs!

Mosquito Creek does have a bridge... of sorts. It looks like someone intentionally felled a tree across the creek maybe 100-200 feet upstream of the old bridge site, and then bolted iron bars to it with cable handrails attached. It felt as sketchy walking across it as it looked (the bolted bars were all loose and wobbly and there was zero tension in the cable handrails). Honestly the whole contraption was obviously anything but official and it's likely even a liability for DCNR. But also I would not at all be shocked to find out that it had washed away after I crossed it (the rain didn't begin until after I'd passed that area).

Was a bit less impressed with the campsites. Many of them are small and noticeably lacking in flat/level ground. I would be hesitant to hike portions of this trail with a larger group (using more than 1 or 2 tents) as I think such a group would struggle with making a lot of the established campsites work. Honestly, the best/nicest options were often the dry sites atop the plateau- on several nights I grabbed water in the last hollow as I was climbing up through and then just found a flat spot up high on the plateau, where the forest was usually open and fairly level with plenty of options.

(Also I noticed that when the Cramer guidebook indicates that there's "nice camping options" along a stretch of the trail, that doesn't actually mean there's established campsites in that area- just flattish ground where maybe you can find something that you could make work.)

Took hundreds of photos on the trek (as usual). At some point I'll hopefully get a proper trip report up. Still sorting through and editing photos from my Loyalsock Trail hike back in April, though!

Thanks again for your info- it was super helpful

Last edited by DSettahr; 05-13-2021 at 12:43 PM..
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote