View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 10:20 AM   #12
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Perhaps I over emphasized the oaks a little bit, or didn't emphasize enough that the oaks tend to be at higher elevations, but red oak at least is out there in considerable numbers that you don't often see elsewhere in the Adirondacks. If you get up onto the drier, rockier hills in the western portions of the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, stands of oaks aren't uncommon. Lots of turkey that dig through the leaf litter looking for mast also.

Here's a photo that I took from First Brother, looking out towards Brant Lake:

Here's a couple of zoomed in views on portions of that image to look at the leaves:

Sure look like oak to me.

Another image, this one of Brant Lake from Second Brother:

Zooming in on the leaves in the upper left:

Definitely oak.

Here's a photo I snapped near the summit of Number 7 Hill:

This is a classic example of an oak stump sprout. The 4 trunk here are surrounding what was once a single trunk that died, was blown over, etc. Something happened to kill the original stem. The living tissue surrounding the dead trunk sent up 4 new stems, which in turn each grew into a full trunk.

There's no leaves in this photo but in addition to the form, the bark is pretty indicative of red oak- vertically furrowed, with faint white stripes running up and down the trunks.

Here's a photo I took from Franks Hill, looking south towards Black Mountain:

If we zoom in on the mountain, we can see the uniquely-shaped fire tower and confirm that it is indeed Black Mountain:

Zooming in on leaves on the right and left sides of the image:

The first image clearly shows oak leaves. The second image isn't as clear, but you can still see a cluster of haycorns on one of the branches.

Here's a photo taken on Antwine Hill:

Zooming in on one of the trees in the center:

I'll be the first to admit that this isn't the greatest quality image, but I'd still bet money on that being oak. Everything about it looks oakish, from the branching patter (spindly branches growing in every direction) to the leaves (somewhat reflective and shiny when the light hits them the right way).

Here's a photo I took while descending the south side of Number 8 Hill:

Zooming in on the leaves at the top of the tree on the left:

Again, pretty definitively oak.

Here's a photo of a view south towards Brant Lake from Number 8 Mountain:

And if we zoom in on the crown of the tree on the left:

Pretty typical shape for oak leaves.

That's about a year's worth of photos that I dug through to find those images- I have tons more, but I'll leave it at that. I know that these aren't all the best of images (during my travels I wasn't expecting to have my dendrology skills called into question ). Yes, I agree that oak trees aren't super common in the Adirondacks. But they aren't that rare, either, at least in some areas (like the Eastern Adirondacks). Oaks can even be found on some of the High Peaks trails- I know that when you climb Esther and Whiteface from the north, you pass through some significant oak stands at lower elevations. I would bet money also that there's probably quite a few oaks on the Eastern slopes of the Dix Range- the conditions there are ideal for them.
DSettahr is online now   Reply With Quote