View Single Post
Old 02-05-2021, 10:53 PM   #25
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusFunk24 View Post
montcalm, have you read The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben? It corroborates and expounds upon the communication through fungal networks and sharing of resources between familial trees and even trees of different species in a forest. Its written in a way thats intuitive and interesting to read, though based on scientific observations.

I might add that Beech trees appear to be the villain of the forest, they will intentionally grow through the crown of competing trees and dont appear to value the "community" of the forest. If their aggressive nature wasnt enough, Beech trees (with a diameter of approx. 6'' or greater) are falling victim to some invasive species that leaves those pock marks all over their bark and eventually kills them. As a result the dying trees are spreading panic growth everywhere within their reach. At the same time many of the Maples that dominate the canopy in the Adirondacks are reaching the end of their lifespan (300ish yrs). It would be tragic if in several hundred years as the climate becomes less harsh, the Adirondacks became one dense Beech thicket. I would not shed a tear if some Beeches were cleared both for new skiing opportunities and to preserve the diversity of mixed hardwood forests.

Peter, being a forester is giving a lot of interpretations based on observations, and not rigorous experiments like Dr. Simard et. al. but it is surely still interesting, and surely stuff that needs to be proven with careful data collection. I have no doubt he is correct about many of his hypotheses.

I'd like to look more into the Beech and Maple rivalry. In Europe, it seems the Beech likes to dominate the forest.

Last edited by montcalm; 02-06-2021 at 09:22 AM..
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote