View Single Post
Old 11-25-2021, 08:40 AM   #9
SteveSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Hmm. I bet it burned again more recently. That sure doesn’t look like 90 years post fire.

No idea how long that dead standing wood can hang around but 90 years seems optimistic. Also all that downed wood seems pretty fresh.

I'm absolutely no authority but I'd guess 30 years or less.

Have you been up on the north ridge of Sleeping Beauty? That has burned a couple times, and once in the past 20 years or so. It looks a lot like that does.
I was not able to find any articles about a more recent fire, but I did find a picture of Huckleberry in Barbara McMartin's Old Roads and Open Peaks and there are no dead trees along the cliff line. The book is from 1977. There is no description of a bushwhack up Huckleberry in the original book. She republished the book in 1986 with Backcountry Publications and that version includes a bushwhack up Huckleberry. She states the Huckleberry summit had "a spectacular open forest of red pine". She made no mention of a burned area. The fire must have occurred after the early to mid 1980's. I found another photo online from 2012 that showed the standing dead trees that I observed.
SteveSam is offline   Reply With Quote