Allen via macintyre east tract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen via macintyre east tract

Hey, just wondering if anyone had done Allen via the macintyre east tract this summer? I heard they are ripping up parts of the road and it isn’t making this route all that great at the moment. Going to hit it Sunday and wondering if I should explore the newer route it just hit the old route. Any reports of the conditions would be great. Thank you!

I haven't had a chance to lay eyes on it myself, but from what I understand- the DEC is not just ripping out the old culverts on the road, but tearing up the actual road bed itself. It sounds like the "new old" route to Allen isn't as nice as it was a few weeks ago.

Comment

There was a thread on ADKHighPeaks detailing this situation, but it appears to have been censored...

Comment

Ty for the replies, I guess it’s old school route tomorrow. Looking forward to the challenging hike.

Comment

I went in there on Monday to check out what the DEC was actually doing. A few photos are posted here. I only went as far as the junction where the cabin was, but the two workmen I spoke with said it was similar all the way to the crossong of Dudley Brook. It appeared that there had been a fair amount of traffic already on the route. This traffic has already started to lower the "passes" through the piles of dirt, or create bypasses around the mounds of earth. So, not impassable by any means, but definitely not as nice as a few weeks ago. If someone is willing, a report on the time for one route over the other would be useful. The best would be a group splitting up, so each time was in the same direction, but at the same time I have never been a fan of splitting groups.
          Three of the photos provide a sample of the barriers in the road with some evidence of "passes" through the barriers. The fourth with the gate shows just how much the wide road created for the salvage logging in 1999 has naturally "re-naturalized". This makes me question why such a major effort was required when it would have naturally grown in at no cost to the State.

Every time that wheel turns round, bound to measure just a little more ground.

Comment

Somehow only two of the four photos made it onto the original post.Here are the other two - I hope.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f9o...ew?usp=sharing.[IMG]
            https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Aza...ew?usp=sharing.[IMG]
            Every time that wheel turns round, bound to measure just a little more ground.

Comment

Thanks for the info and photos, Tony.

Link to (restored) discussion on ADKHighPeaks:

Renaturalization4.jpeg Natural renaturalization-gate.jpeg I went in there on Monday to check out what the DEC was actually doing. A few photos are posted here. I only went as far as the junction where the cabin was, but the two workmen I spoke with said it was similar all the way to the crossong of Dudley Brook. It appeared

Comment

Working...
              X