No announcement yet.

Feral hogs in Upstate NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't believe that Feral Hogs would be able to survive the winters in the Adirondacks. They would be able to survive in the areas of agriculture along the edges of the park.
    Have adventures and make mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Adirondackman View Post
      I don't believe that Feral Hogs would be able to survive the winters in the Adirondacks. They would be able to survive in the areas of agriculture along the edges of the park.
      Is that for lack of food or shelter or both?
      "Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold."

Comment

Originally posted by ADKpete View Post
        Is that for lack of food or shelter or both?
        Lack of food. Pigs are rooters. Once the ground is frozen and covered with a couple feet of snow they would have a very hard time finding enough food to keep them alive. They are not very well adapted to browsing like the whitetail deer.
        Have adventures and make mistakes.

Comment

Except, that pigs are omnivores so I'm sure they'll be able to survive of winter killed deer. Wouldn't be surprised if they even killed weak deer they came across.

Comment

Must have been a good winter for them barely any hardpack
            A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they never shall sit in

Comment

id be up for a hunt...and BBQ.... who knows where they are lets go..!!
              ADK 46-R # 6750W
              CL-50 #51
              CATSKILLS 9/35
              NPT--Complete 7-6-13

Comment

Originally posted by viewseeker View Post
                id be up for a hunt...and BBQ.... who knows where they are lets go..!!
                Let me know if you do - I'd be in.
                “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

I wish it were that easy , I'd love to erase them from our property.

Comment

Are those hogs any different than the coyote. I know they tear up roots but there isn't enough space in the park?
                    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they never shall sit in

Comment

Originally posted by bobadkhunter View Post
                      I wish it were that easy , I'd love to erase them from our property.
                      Is your property in St. Lawrence county? Can you describe some of the detrimental activities? Thx!
                      "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

A guy I know shot one a couple weeks ago south of Skaneateles. There were more, but he couldn't get a shots at the other ones - I guess they can really cruise!!

Comment

My GF's family is from Skaneateles. Her bro-in-law was telling me he hears them rooting around in the woods behind his house regularly.

Ed

Comment

I believe the highest concentration of this nuisance is in Scott, NY area. This are is located just north of Cortland. I believe the DEC has the populaton at or around a 100 in this area. A couple of hunters from Camillus bagged 2 pigs just over 300 pounds last spring. Syracuse.com had pictures but I can't seem to locate the web page..Nonetheless they were massive. I live in Cortland and I'm starting to see evidence of them in Tuller Hill Forest area just south of Cortland. Hopefully the pig roasts start popping up every weekend!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by geogymn View Post
                              Is your property in St. Lawrence county? Can you describe some of the detrimental activities? Thx!
                              Geogymn , Some of the detrimental activities would be rooting around in my food plots (buckwheat, fall oats, clover/alfalfa) , doing plenty of damage. I've found several hemlock trees that are severely gouged near the base ( I was told this is what they do in the summer months , gouge the tree with their tusks , they then rub up against the damaged tree to get the sap on them ,this keeps the bugs , flies off them). I've been also told that they eat newborn fawns , turkey eggs and other newborn and young that they happen upon. This is why I want them eradicated from my property.

Comment

That's the one!

Comment

Working...
                                X