No announcement yet.

Feral hogs in Upstate NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd also be up for taking a stand for some swine if someone would like some help.

Comment

Originally posted by bobadkhunter View Post
      Geogymn , Some of the detrimental activities would be rooting around in my food plots (buckwheat, fall oats, clover/alfalfa) , doing plenty of damage. I've found several hemlock trees that are severely gouged near the base ( I was told this is what they do in the summer months , gouge the tree with their tusks , they then rub up against the damaged tree to get the sap on them ,this keeps the bugs , flies off them). I've been also told that they eat newborn fawns , turkey eggs and other newborn and young that they happen upon. This is why I want them eradicated from my property.
      Thanks for the first hand knowledge, I understand your plight, hope you find a remedy in this developing nightmare, good luck!
      "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

I just saw a feature on these pests on "Nightline." They're all over the place. A company in Texas hunts them using high tech military equipment, night vision goggles, etc. A population can double in six months. They can put rabbits to shame in their reproduction rate.
        "Days in the woods are days beyond time"--Paul Jamieson

Comment

Originally posted by nutmeg creeker View Post
          I just saw a feature on these pests on "Nightline." They're all over the place. A company in Texas hunts them using high tech military equipment, night vision goggles, etc. A population can double in six months. They can put rabbits to shame in their reproduction rate.
          I read somewhere that at least 60% of the population has to be eliminated every year just to keep the current numbers. Eliminate any less than 60% and annually and the population is growing...

Comment

Originally posted by Otter Laker View Post
            I believe the highest concentration of this nuisance is in Scott, NY area. This are is located just north of Cortland. I believe the DEC has the populaton at or around a 100 in this area. A couple of hunters from Camillus bagged 2 pigs just over 300 pounds last spring. Syracuse.com had pictures but I can't seem to locate the web page..Nonetheless they were massive. I live in Cortland and I'm starting to see evidence of them in Tuller Hill Forest area just south of Cortland. Hopefully the pig roasts start popping up every weekend!!!!
            Would this be private lands, state, farm lands????
            ADK 46-R # 6750W
            CL-50 #51
            CATSKILLS 9/35
            NPT--Complete 7-6-13

Comment

Would this be private lands, state, farm lands???? The answer would be yes to all of the above.

Comment

Wonder how this will work out!
                Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
                Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RciAGwTmByo

Comment

Another article from Conservationist for additional background:

Comment

Originally posted by skimorebumps View Post
                      I hope they are putting all that meat to good use.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpine1 View Post
                        I hope they are putting all that meat to good use.
                        Be careful...Feral pigs can carry and transmit a couple nasty diseases.

Just another non-native, invasive, species that threatens our native wildlife and plants, crops, and economy. Kill them all.

Comment

The triple-four is ready. Let 'em get to Franklin County and I'll be collecting bacon. I'll get the smoker going.

Best,
                          Dan

Comment

The lil porkers are harder than deers to hunt... Period...

Unregulated hunting over bait seems to make the lil porkers more wary..

Cage traps set over a period of weeks seem to only catch pups....

This is a big problem...

The helicopter shoot seemed to leave more than a few wounded pigs...

I was not happy with that,,,finish it off....

Are we dealing with a take no mercy invasion..perhaps..
                            Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
                            Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

If you look on the imaps invasives map, you can see what counties they've been reported in, and how many reports have been made. Here's what the Adirondack region looks like:

Comment

DEC advises just to shoot them; not hunt them. Reason being pressure would force them to scatter & spread to other areas.

Comment

Working...
                                X