View Single Post
Old 08-04-2021, 08:01 PM   #9
hikingandwildex

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Yeah, I don't think this particular tributary has any real head to it. I bet it flows wildly when it does rain, and it's probably pretty dry the rest of the time.

I really don't know the hydrology of the ones in Ithaca, but I seem to recall them flowing well when I lived there. I'm sure in summers where we see a drought they do get thin though.

That tall side flow fall in Conklin is very seasonal. It's usually not doing much in the summer except after a thundershower. Probably the best time to see that is in spring, but winter is usually good because it ices up (per the pic). It does build up enough ice to be climb-able at times and I know people have done it.
I'm leaning towards doing Conklin/Clark in the winter or spring. Can't completely rule out a multi-day fall outing with an overnight stay at one of the High Tor lean-to shelters, though. Wonder how busy those shelters get compared to ones on the FLT, which for the most part don't see a whole lot of usage.

As long as those Ithaca waterfalls aren't a trickle (like Taughannock was the first time I went there), I'll be good...