View Single Post
Old 08-21-2021, 07:57 PM   #124
Lonehiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingandwildex View Post
Re-posting my response to the above message since I accidentally edited over it. I think the heat and humidity are getting to me!

I'm sure you're familiar with the Eastern Forest Lookouts site that lists existing and former towers, along with news snippets from a century ago in some cases. I'm guessing the ten Catt Co. sites listed there are the same that you know about...

Mount Morris, assuming it's the same one you referred to, is on my wishlist of more obscure ADK peaks. Someone posted a summit photo on Peakbagger's website and it looks worth checking out. The satellite view of the mountain also looks intriguing.

This website may have pointed me in the right direction for that Ellicottville firetower. Currently searching the Google Maps satellite view around the school they mentioned.

Sorry about the re-post...
I have been to Mount Morris, I have photos. I did ask the owner for permission. He was in his 70s when I visited him in E-town some six years ago. The tower is completely incased in communications wiring with dishes pointed at it. It's like the Borg took it over. I have to dig up the photos

He owns Palmer Hill too. The maintenance crew wouldn't let me in the fortified tower without a safety helmet. You know how OSHA is. Just give one of yours lol. Oh well I got to touch Palmer Hill and see a small view.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mount Morris Fire Tower.jpg (69.4 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by Lonehiker; 08-21-2021 at 08:09 PM..
Lonehiker is offline   Reply With Quote