View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound View Post
Don't get mad at me, please, but I think this keeping of "lesser known" public places as secrets is absurd and backfires. I came to this forum to learn more about my Adirondacks, it belongs to all of us you know. If I'd read this thread when I first came here I wouldn't have bothered. Trust me, you want more people canoeing, kayaking, mountain biking, camping outside the formal campgrounds....when more people have a vested interest generally more protections are put in place, more areas are set aside as non-motorized. I've seen it in Montana, Washington, Oregon, N.Cali, Michigan...NY benefits from these sports because they have a heavy sidecar of sciences, eco-studies, wildlife studies, and saftey that comes with the nature of these activities producing a more informed public I'd think (even if it is a small part of the population). Baaaa Humbug to your secrets. It's a glass-half-empty approach focussing on the negative. Now that this forum is evidently where we come to brag that "I know something you don't", it becomes less interesting very quickly. Not a nice trend.
I disagree. I hike in Montana, Wyoming, ND, SD, AZ, NM quite a bit. Always avoiding the places where most people go or know about.

There are plenty of places in the Adirondacks that are well known like the high peaks, etc. I avoid them like the plague because of the number of people who are there and because of the destruction that a few cause. Don't really care about the money or the tourism impact.

I have a feeling that if I ever had the opportunity to ask God why he created the Adirondacks, I'm sure that his answer could not be "To promote tourism".

So, personally I prefer my wilderness to be as close as possible to the way the Creator intended it to be, as opposed to how humans want to eploit it for one reason or another.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote