Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2017, 07:22 PM   #1
Tick Magnet

Wilcox Outlet Falls, WLWF, 25 Oct, 2017

I had some time this morning for a reasonably short hike to the waterfalls on the Wilcox Lake Outlet deep in the heart of the namesake Wilcox Lake Wild Forest. The last time I visited these falls was over 30 years ago with my child bride. I'm a little disappointed that I haven't been back since. They're fantastic, especially after yesterday's heavy rain.

Parking at the end of Pumpkin Hollow Rd, I immediately crossed the fast flowing Doig Creek on a good snowmobile bridge.

After crossing the bridge, I looked back and thought it would make a good photo.

The multi-use trail, freshly marked with red disks, headed up over the shoulder of Pine Mt. The 275+ feet climb wasn't too bad and in some of the steeper spots, I was surprised to see old corduroy poked through the wet leaves.

The trail leveled off for a bit passing through some beautiful woods. I then descended a short, but steep, grade and wound through some skinny woods for a while.

At the appropriate point, I jumped off trail and began my bushwhack to the falls. It really wasn't that difficult, as I could hear the rush of the outlet flowing out of the vly. When I arrived at the Wilcox Outlet, the water was really impressive.

I set my course and headed downstream. A few minutes of bushwhacking through some very wet red spruce whips, brought me to the 15' falls and huge plunge pool.

As I snacked on my apple, I contemplated the beauty of the falls and vowed not to wait another 30 years before I re-visit this special place. Maybe next time I can take my wife. Either way, it was good to be out today.

Last edited by Tick Magnet; 10-26-2017 at 09:05 PM..
Tick Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:01 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Nice report & photos, TM.
Great to see you again today....you didn't tell me that special story behind those falls...so many great memories you have in that area, thanks again for sharing your adventures with us!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #3
snapper
snapper

Thanks for sharing your photos and day's experience with us. It's greatly appreciated.

Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:26 PM   #4
FTHR&DAGHTR

Tick, We will be in the whole WLWF for ten days starting on the 10th. I hope the temps drop a few degrees!!!!

....... with the good Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise.......
FTHR&DAGHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:09 PM   #5
Tick Magnet

Thanks for the comments folks.

I've always loved the little nooks and crannies of the WLWF. So much to see, so little time left.