Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2020, 03:18 PM   #1
GracieDog

Question Mouse Repellent Advice

So we have an old camp that is definitely NOT mouse proof by any means, but over this past winter, the little buggers really outdid themselves. Other than the usual nonsense of chewing on my window curtains, leaving droppings everywhere, etc., they nibbled on the rubber gaskets of my brand new propane fridge! Thankfully, the gaskets weren't chewed off, but another winter of gnawing might do them in.

Does anyone on the forum have any recommendations for something I could apply to the fridge gaskets to keep them away? The trick is I need something that will last from November to May that doesn't have to be reapplied every few weeks. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
GracieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:42 PM   #2
Woodly

There are granular mouse repellants. I have to wonder if you couldn't make a paste of one and rub it on the gaskets?
I'd also be investing in some traps, especially the type that catches multiple mice live. They'll be dead and stinking come spring time and maybe the trap would be best thrown out, but they won't be breeding or causing damage.
Also push steel wool into every hole you can find. Mice won't chew threw it.
Me? I'd also be putting poison out under the cabin.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:54 PM   #3
ILikeRocks

1. Take an old 5 gallon bucket
2. Run a wire across top
3. Poke a hole the bottom of a beer can And thread it on wire
4. Put peanut butter on can
5. Fill bottom of bucket with 4” of water (add antifreeze in unheated camp)
ILikeRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:24 AM   #4
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeRocks View Post
1. Take an old 5 gallon bucket
2. Run a wire across top
3. Poke a hole the bottom of a beer can And thread it on wire
4. Put peanut butter on can
5. Fill bottom of bucket with 4” of water (add antifreeze in unheated camp)
The old Adirondack Mouse Trap works.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:53 AM   #5
Wldrns

I catch moles eating the beets in my garden the same way. I use a much smaller bucket and bury it at ground level. Instead of a beer can I use a dowel through a small length of plastic pipe as a spinner. A little soapy water keeps them from climbing out again before the drown in the bath bubbles.

At another camp with the same problem I was told to use scented dryer sheets. Scattering them around seemed to keep the mice away from their usual haunts.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:20 AM   #6
Woodly

And don't think mothballs will ward off mice. There have been nests found full of them tho they may eventually kill them.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:57 AM   #7
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Best to try to keep the little guys out rather than declare war there’s too many of them
StuffIt is a product made for blocking mice sized gaps it’s made of copper so no rust stains
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:15 PM   #8
ILikeRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Best to try to keep the little guys out rather than declare war there’s too many of them
StuffIt is a product made for blocking mice sized gaps it’s made of copper so no rust stains

Agreed. I like to use spray foam and duct seal depending on the opening.
ILikeRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:10 PM   #9
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeRocks View Post
Agreed. I like to use spray foam and duct seal depending on the opening.
MDB and I own a lot of rental properties, some were built in the 1800's, so they've got some gaps here and there. So we have spent lots of time preventing break ins.
The stuffit is a great deterrent, I think the copper irritates their fillings...
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:31 PM   #10
Buckladd

We put dryer sheets in our camper, and in the drawers in our camp and they seem to work. We also leave tom-cat all over when we close up camp in Dec. The aforementioned ADK mousetrap works wonders.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:31 AM   #11
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Just a reminder that the Decon type poisons can be a problem for raptors. Mouse eats poison, gets sick, roams around in a daze looking for water, becomes easy meal for raptor, raptor gets sick and dies...

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:12 PM   #12
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
Just a reminder that the Decon type poisons can be a problem for raptors. Mouse eats poison, gets sick, roams around in a daze looking for water, becomes easy meal for raptor, raptor gets sick and dies...
That's a good point to make. Might not be as big a problem in winter with mice headed under the snow but, good to know.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:57 PM   #13

Fresh Cab (google it) can help, as can dryer sheets. Nothing is perfect, long-term, short of filling every hole into yout place, which is pretty hard in a cabin. SHORT TERM: Load traditional mouse trap with peanut butter. Remove carcass in morning. Rinse. Repeat.
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:48 AM   #14
Dr_1400

This seems to be a particularly bad year in our camp (western ADK). Last trip we caught 34 in snap traps over 6 nights. Moving to the bucket trap this weekend. Sick of chasing leg caught mice around in the dark.
Exclusion by filling holes seems the only way to ever get ahead of it. And impossible to ever fully achieve in old camps. Once that is done you’ll still have to trap and kill the mice already inside. Product named Xcluder has worked well for us in our ongoing quest.
Dr_1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:45 AM   #15
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I believe French Louie would catch snakes and relocate them to be near his camp.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:10 PM   #16
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
Correct, don't use blood thinner poisons in the woods!

Use TerraD3 instead, it does not cause secondary poisoning and lasts longer in the bait stations. Set bait stations out around cabin perimeter (before rodent get inside). Make sure to use good bait stations as raccoons will be out to get it too.

For the bucket method, in winter fill it with wind-shield washer fluid instead of water + antifreeze - it's got plenty of alcohol in it and will "preserve" the mice to an extent so they won't stink up the place nearly as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
I believe French Louie would catch snakes and relocate them to be near his camp.
Fox, coon, bobcat, snakes, owls are all good at reducing rodent numbers. If you can attract them to the place they will be a deterrent and consume the ones already there.

Last edited by timberghost; 08-03-2020 at 12:55 AM..
timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:52 AM   #17
hikingandwildex

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
Fox, coon, bobcat, snakes, owls are all good at reducing rodent numbers.
To add to this point, bobcat urine is reported to be effective in repelling mice in the same manner that my bottle of coyote urine has repelling rats, porcupines and other critters around my car and house. Might be worth looking into if the OP hasn't already.

Last edited by hikingandwildex; 08-07-2020 at 12:10 PM..
hikingandwildex is offline   Reply With Quote