Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2020, 06:00 PM   #1
cpoit

Loj Parking

Hi All,
Can anyone help with the parking situation at the Loj on Friday afternoons? I've been their at around 8am on Saturdays and have had to park 2 miles from the trail heads. Is the parking just as crowded on Fridays? I'm planning a late September trip. Thanks!
cpoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:14 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Week days this year have been seeing trailhead parking areas fill up super early as well. September might be a bit less crazy with school back in session for kids/college students (one way or another) but late September will also be getting into peak foliage season. I'd plan to get there as early as you possibly can- 8 am very well could be too late to get a parking space at the Loj.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:28 AM   #3
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

my son was there last Friday at 7, and had to walk an extra 1.1 miles each way. good luck!
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:58 AM   #4
TRAILOGRE53

"my son was there last Friday at 7, and had to walk an extra 1.1 miles each way. good luck!"

Isnt the reason we are there is too hike ?
Whats an extra mile or 2 ?

THis is one of the problems with the parking situation
everybody HAS to park within 6 inches of the trailhead
TRAILOGRE53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:19 PM   #5
BillyGr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILOGRE53 View Post
"my son was there last Friday at 7, and had to walk an extra 1.1 miles each way. good luck!"

Isnt the reason we are there is too hike ?
Whats an extra mile or 2 ?

THis is one of the problems with the parking situation
everybody HAS to park within 6 inches of the trailhead
It shouldn't be a problem, but it might be only in planning. That is, if someone planned to arrive at x:xx am and do a y mile hike, having to do a y+2 mile hike might make it get dark (for instance) before they are able to complete the trip.

That also shouldn't be too much problem (especially in a spot like this, where those extra miles at the end would be on reasonably easy terrain), but it could be in some locations where the trails are more difficult.
BillyGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:18 AM   #6
tenderfoot

Maybe make a weekend of it and book a campsite at the Loj. They are nicely spaced, permit fires and there is a washroom (and snack bar). For us, we believe in what they do so throwing them some extra money is always good for our woodland karma
Old 08-07-2020, 01:44 PM   #7
TRAILOGRE53

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
It shouldn't be a problem, but it might be only in planning. That is, if someone planned to arrive at x:xx am and do a y mile hike, having to do a y+2 mile hike might make it get dark (for instance) before they are able to complete the trip.

That also shouldn't be too much problem (especially in a spot like this, where those extra miles at the end would be on reasonably easy terrain), but it could be in some locations where the trails are more difficult.
So you plan your hike around the extra mileage
Just like a regular hike

And if your prepared .....starting and ending in the dark shouldnt bother you at all
TRAILOGRE53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:54 PM   #8
Tomcat

When the lots are full and you park 1-2 miles away are you still charged to park?
Tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:06 PM   #9
Woodly

No. [for your question]

At Whiteface; If you parked across the road and tried to walk past the toll booth and up the summit highway you will be charged. I just bushwack past that.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote