Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2022, 08:07 PM   #1
salar4me

Auction bargains? Waxable x country skis

Picked up two pairs of Xc skis recently for $2.50 at an auction. They look to be in good shape - I switched out the bindings on one pair with those of a newer vintage. Now learning the ins and outs of glide and kick wax. Question? When do you know they need a complete stripping and pine tar rehab?

salar4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 01:08 PM   #2
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by salar4me View Post
Picked up two pairs of Xc skis recently for $2.50 at an auction. They look to be in good shape - I switched out the bindings on one pair with those of a newer vintage. Now learning the ins and outs of glide and kick wax. Question? When do you know they need a complete stripping and pine tar rehab?

I used to love my wooden waxable skis! I would strip when I started to see bare wood thru the pine tar. I had an old clothes iron I would use to give a base coat of wax over the pine tar. I'd use a very hard wax that would accept softer waxes as needed... What a art form and science waxable skis are! Enjoy!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:03 PM   #3
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

I looked up wood crosscountry skis on eBay...you did good! They are going for $50 to $180... I'll have to pull mine out of the garage and hang on a wall somewhere!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:06 PM   #4
salar4me

Thanks Chairock - should be able to get through this season
salar4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:09 PM   #5
montcalm
Mobster

There's definitely been a resurgence of wood skis in the past decade or so.

Like anything, it really depends on the condition though. If they were properly stored with camber blocks and the tails kept dry, then they can be valuable. Some brands/skis more that others.

Like wooden canoes, a lot people prefer the feel and sound of these over modern "plastic" skis. They claim they are smoother and quieter. YMMV.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:18 PM   #6
Fisheater

You can search up a wood ski thread on Telemarktalk.com, however most of the guys there cite either woodskis.com or woodenskis.com. The guys on TT speak well of the wood skis site.
Fisheater is offline   Reply With Quote