Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2022, 04:54 PM   #1
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Redhawk "The Resident Curmudgeon"

It is with a heavy heart I report that longtime forum member, "the resident curmudgeon" Redhawk has passed away.

Many of us had the opportunity to meet Redhawk at his place in Wells when he would host forum gatherings many years ago. For some of us we met through Redhawk.

I know I will always cherish the too little time I spent with him and the stories & wisdom he shared with me.

Walk on in the happy hunting ground my friend.

-Russ

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 05:58 PM   #2
TCD

I never met Redhawk, but I had discussions and debates with him here on the forum, and I respected him. His spirit will carry on.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 06:19 PM   #3
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I never met Redhawk, but I had discussions and debates with him here on the forum, and I respected him. His spirit will carry on.
Same with me. What a great guy and important character he was for many of us. May the Lakota spirit of Hawk Viittles live on forever.

Last edited by Wldrns; 02-26-2022 at 07:19 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 06:21 PM   #4
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

I met him a few times..........and we carried on with some spirited debates.

He is with the Great Father in the sky.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:47 PM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I met him once very briefly years ago- as I recall it was in the backcountry of the West Canada Lakes Wilderness, in the summer of either 2008 or 2009. Our interaction was fairly brief, but he made sure to share a verbal advertisement for Hawk Vittles. RIP.
DSettahr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 10:30 PM   #6
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Wondered what became of him. I missed his posts and whit. RIP
Old 02-27-2022, 06:53 AM   #7
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

I haven't heard from him in years, Last time I saw him was at Gary Deans party

Obituary of William Redhawk | Funeral Homes & Cremation Services | ... (brbsfuneral.com)
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 07:38 AM   #8
Swamp Booger

Sorry to hear of his passing. I never met him in person, but enjoyed reading his posts on here. He seemed to be a very interesting and wise character. I've also enjoyed his "Hawk Vittles" on some of my excursions. May he RIP
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 09:41 AM   #9
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Sad to hear, he was a cool guy. I really enjoyed his perspective.
His Hawk Vittles were the impetus behind me starting to dry my own meals.
Only time I met him in person was at Gary’s place…
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 09:47 AM   #10
geogymn

Many of his perspectives radiated a strong light. He was a great attribute to this forum. I am glad to have read him. Taŋy?ŋ om?ni!
Old 02-27-2022, 10:12 AM   #11
montcalm

Never met him, ate some of his food, read some of his posts. RIP Hawk!
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 12:06 PM   #12
rbi99

Over the past years the only freeze dried food I took backpacking was from him. I was just about to order some more for this coming spring's trip. I believe that I once read that he was working with someone to take Vittles over? Maybe that was just me hoping.
Old 02-27-2022, 12:30 PM   #13
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbi99 View Post
Over the past years the only freeze dried food I took backpacking was from him. I was just about to order some more for this coming spring's trip. I believe that I once read that he was working with someone to take Vittles over? Maybe that was just me hoping.
Hawk started his backpacker's camp food production business by a simple fairly inexpensive home dehydration process, with numerous Hawk Vittles recipes made directly from a book authored by Linda Yaffe using an inexpensive dehydrator. I did the same for myself, guides, and Boy Scouts, but did not turn my efforts into a successful famous money making business like he did so well.

Before he left Wells he did offer his equipment to me if I wanted it, maybe to other people too, but I did not need it, so as far as I knew he continued on with producing and selling Hawk Vittles simply dehydrated as it always was. I did not know that he was ever using the freeze-drying process to produce anything. Maybe he later branched out into that much more expensive process, I do not know.

Last edited by Wldrns; 02-27-2022 at 01:52 PM..
Old 02-27-2022, 02:08 PM   #14
rickhart

Yes, if anyone hears that the company is being continued, please post it. Not only were the items tasty, but I loved the single-serving option.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 03:07 PM   #15
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhart View Post
Yes, if anyone hears that the company is being continued, please post it. Not only were the items tasty, but I loved the single-serving option.
You can make your own Hawk Vittles, at least his early recipes, directly from:

https://www.amazon.com/Backpack-Gour...s%2C365&sr=8-3

The great thing about Linda Yaffe's first recipe book, is even though some of the dishes and titles may sound strange to read, when you actually make them, not only are they great food, they easily lead you to trying your own variations, which is what Hawk did to produce a variety of more advanced meals.

Last edited by Wldrns; 02-27-2022 at 04:08 PM..
Old 02-27-2022, 03:50 PM   #16
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhart View Post
Vicki told me she does not plan on continuing it.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 11:26 PM   #17
Bunchberry

I never met him but I felt like I did from reading his posts and that's what it means to have an online presence.
Bunchberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 04:19 AM   #18
wiiawiwb

Very sorry to hear of his passing. He had a lot of outdoor experience which he shared here. I really enjoyed reading his posts. RIP Hawk.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:44 AM   #19
Justin
Moving along

My favorite Redhawk memory is when I met him for the first time at one of his gatherings in Wells when he said to me “I didn’t realize you were that big I wouldn’t have f***ed with you.”
RIP Hawk. Thanks for hosting those gatherings where I met my good friend DuctTape Russ, and later on when we helped you move to Gloversville when I got to meet Gary and his wife, and KWC and his wife & son. Good people.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 12:11 PM   #20
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Hawk was so much more than the resident curmudgeon...he was the one of the original founders of this forum, and a wealth of knowledge. He was firmly cemented in his ways and opinions, but respected those who were the same, even if they disagreed, if they could frame their arguments with real data.

From a few conversations I had with him just before COVID I know that his health was not great, and I often worried that COVID didn't bode well for someone with the lung issues he had.

He was also very loyal, proud and protective of his Lakota heritage, as well he should have been.

Mi'igwech Redhawk...go in peace to the great hunting ground.
“Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote