Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2015, 11:19 AM   #1
NJTom

Marcy from Elk Lake?

Anyone here done Marcy from Elk Lake? Going up the trail to the west of the lake, to Panther Gorge, then past Skylight?

I am planning/hoping on doing this when up there in about four weeks: go up Marcy this route, then just continue over and coming out via "Route 1" at the Gardens.

If anyone has done this recently, any comments? How long did it take you? Anything I should be aware of that may have changed since the last Adk Mountain Club guidebook?

Thanks!
NJTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:22 PM   #2
dundee

It's been about 3 years since I've done it and I can't tell you about current conditions, but I can tell you it's one LONG trip.

After leaving Elk Lake you will walk along logging roads for quite awhile and then start climbing the Boreas/Colvin ridge. Once atop the ridge you will walk along a bit and then drop down and lose all the elevation that you just gained. You cross into the privat propery of the Ausable Club and cross thru Marcy Swamp.

Then you will begin the long, slow climb to Panther Gorge where there is a lean-to and tent area. I do hope this is not a day trip for you? After the LT it's a climb of 2,000 in two miles to the summit of Marcy and the trail to the Garden.

IMO, it would make a nice trip if you made a base camp at Panther Gorge and then made a day trip up Marcy. Too many people make the mistake of haouling their overnight geat up & over the mountains. This leaves them exhausted and the trail in poor condition due to the extra weight.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:31 PM   #3
TEO

I've done it several times, though not always to Marcy: Haystack, Skylight, & Gray have also been destinations. It's a great trail. At steady, but not aggressively fast pace, it took a full morning/early afternoon to reach the Panther Gorge leanto, which would put us at the summit in the mid-afternoon. The trail is gentle all the way to Panther Brook crossing up in the Gorge.

One year we had an unpleasant relationship with deer flies for much of stretch that works around Elk Lake. I was incredibly grateful to have a headnet.
TEO is offline   Reply With Quote