Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2021, 06:26 PM   #1
Neil
Admin
 
Neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,118
Fuel Bottle Cleansing.

I disposed of white gas that had been in fuel bottles for more than 10 years. I have read that the bottles should be cleansed of the varnish and gum that has surely formed and is sticking to the sides of the bottles. Paint thinner is what is recommended. After a couple of good rinses with the thinner it is further recommended to scrub the insides of the bottles with very hot soapy water using a stiff-bristled bottle brush.

For the thinner I have both methyl hydrate and Varsol on hand. Is one better than the other for the job?

Also, any observations and suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks!
__________________
The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:01 PM   #2
TCD
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,951
If it says to use "Paint Thinner" I would stick to that.

"Paint Thinner" from the hardware store is almost always "Low Odor Mineral Spirits":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint_thinner

Methanol ("Methyl Hydrate") is not generally on the list of Paint Thinner ingredients.

"Varsol" is a brand name that is predominantly composed of Mineral Spirits.

(Years ago in my career we used a particularly effective solvent blend we called "Ink Remover." It consisted of Mineral Spirits, Methanol, Cyclohexane, Toluene and MEK, if I recall correctly. That would dissolve just about any organic compound.)
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:51 AM   #3
JoeCedar
Member
 
JoeCedar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 273
If the varnish is sticking to the container, what harm is is doing? Does it flake or fall off easily? Why not let it stay where it is? It has been there for years. Do you think it will suddenly redissolve and cause problems with your stove when you add new fuel?

Before I became a serial hiker, I was a chemist specializing in solubility. Some pertinent points to consider:

* What is the varnish, and what does (does not) it dissolve in? Paint thinner does not make sense since it is also a non-polar hydrocarbon like the fuel (from which the varnish went to the container surfaces). Beginning chemistry students are always taught "like dissolves like".

*It would be better to try a solvent unlike the fuel or varnish such as an alcohol (methanol or denatured ethanol) or ketone (like acetone). Unfortunately, these solvents are more difficult to find due to environmental regulations (and you are stuck with a full container if it doesn't work).

* Aqueous materials like acid or alkaline chemicals might react and dissolve the varnish but they should be avoided because of their potential for reaction with the aluminum container. Chlorine bleach is great for coffee pots for example. Aqueous household cleaning agents such as a dishwashing detergent can be a good cleaner for oily residues, but the evidence suggests that the varnish is not an oil since it would not have separated from the fuel in the first place.

*The hydrocarbon fuel itself is a petroleum distillate which is very chemically stable (mostly free of additives, unlike gasoline which is loaded with stuff). The varnish may be an impurity in the fuel or more likely the result of degradation/reaction of fuel or impurities by pathways such as oxidation or polymerization. If the varnish is a polymer it may be very difficult to remove without using something which would damage the aluminum of the container.

* Heating the container in an oven, preferably without fuel, might cause chemical or physical change to the varnish. If it dries and flakes off, you might be worse off. The hope is it converts to something which can easily be cleaned out.

After considering and doing all this, if you are still concerned about possibly harmless varnish on your container, you will probably choose the "nuclear option": throw the bottle in the trash and buy a new container.

Enjoy your experiments!
JoeCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:01 PM   #4
Neil
Admin
 
Neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCedar View Post
If the varnish is sticking to the container, what harm is is doing? Does it flake or fall off easily? Why not let it stay where it is? It has been there for years. Do you think it will suddenly redissolve and cause problems with your stove when you add new fuel?
The bottles, with tax, are about $30 a pop.

I have not observed any varnish or other substances that may have precipitated out of the fuel onto the walls of my bottles. I read about it on a few websites that seemed credible. In fact, I have not attempted to peer into the bottles through their narrow mouths but I will take a headlamp and have a go.

My concern is that refilling the bottles with fresh fuel will cause the varnish et al to redissolve and then gum up the stove, which on a back-packing trip would not be so hot. (haha!)
__________________
The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:39 AM   #5
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club
 
chairrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,706
Gumout carburator cleaner.
__________________
Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 12:53 PM   #6
timberghost
I bear therefore I am
 
timberghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 299
How did you dispose of the old white gas? (Molotov cocktail?)
If that purified fuel was stored in air tight container and wasn't subjected to high temperatures, there is nothing wrong with it, even after decades.

MSR fuel bottles (that I've seen) don't have a coating on inside, others might vary. It is usually the container / tank coating that dissolves and causes problems.
Rinse it out with fresh fuel and don't worry, varnish advice is probably for motor vehicle petroleum fuel.

Do check the O-rings on the fuel bottle caps, those do dry out and crack.
Cold stove pails in comparison to a hot pack (that caught fire from leaking fuel).
__________________
Feverishly avoiding "a steady stream of humanity, with a view that offers little more than butts, boots, elbows and backsides". (description quote from Joe Hackett)
timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:21 PM   #7
St.Regis
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,466
I was going to say that I thought white gas was pretty much free of varnish-causing impurities. I have a multi-fuel stove that I have never used anything other than wg and it fires up every time. I bet that stove is close to 30 years old
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:53 PM   #8
Neil
Admin
 
Neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
How did you dispose of the old white gas? (Molotov cocktail?)
Didn't you see me at the Capitol on Jan 6? I was wearing a pair of horns.

Actually, I poured it into my car's gas tank at the rate of 0.5 liters per 50 liters of gas. So far, so good.
I am not going to bother cleansing out my bottles after reading the replies here. I will refill with fresh gas and run my stove for say, 20 minutes and see what transpires.
__________________
The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:26 PM   #9
montcalm
Mobster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Didn't you see me at the Capitol on Jan 6? I was wearing a pair of horns.
Too soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Actually, I poured it into my car's gas tank at the rate of 0.5 liters per 50 liters of gas. So far, so good.
I am not going to bother cleansing out my bottles after reading the replies here. I will refill with fresh gas and run my stove for say, 20 minutes and see what transpires.
It will surely ruin your car.*

Biggest issue I've faced with my very-rarely-used white gas stove is o-rings. Make sure you supervise it for 20 min. Last time I did a test run on a patio I ended up with a small thermal incident.

Like an oak or pine, it's designed to burn. Change the o-rings, clean the jet and it should be a champ until it eventually finds itself back in your closet for another 10 years.

Also make sure to carry or replace the pump cup and oil it if it's a MSR. They fail and render the stove useless in service.

*I'm actually 99.9% sure it will not harm anything in the car.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

DISCLAIMER: Use of these forums, and information found herein, is at your own risk. Use of this site by members and non-members alike is only granted by the adkhighpeak.com administration provided the terms and conditions found in the FULL DISCLAIMER have been read. Continued use of this site implies that you have read, understood and agree to the terms and conditions of this site. Any questions can be directed to the Administrator of this site.