Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2021, 02:57 PM   #1
attrail

Wild Rivers vs. Lean-tos

Going back at least ten years, I recall that NY planned to phase out lean-tos along wild rivers. From the 2019 ADK Master Plan: Existing lean-tos in wild river areas may be maintained for the balance of their useful lives. Such lean-tos will not be reconstructed or replaced and will ultimately be phased out in favor of primitive tent sites . . .

However, I am thinking that when I visited the Ouluska Lean-to last summer, it had been reconstructed after falling into a bit of disrepair. Did the work there fall under "maintenance?" If that is the case, then this lean-to will be there in perpetuity. Or has the policy changed in regards to the Cold River lean-tos? Just curious more than anything.
attrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:04 PM   #2
Wldrns

Many of the older leantos that were very close to shorelines are being repaired or reconstructed/moved at least 100 feet (100, not 150 as one might think) back from the shore, at site placements that are being directed by the DEC.

Last edited by Wldrns; 05-19-2021 at 03:53 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:08 PM   #3
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

Is there any [plans to build the bridge over Sewards brook the stuff has been in there for years?
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 05:30 PM   #4
DuctTape
Out of Shape

NYS Wild Rivers act specifically states lean-tos may be maintained. Sorry, the APA regulations provide for maintenance, exclude NEW.

from SLMP...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210519-174421.jpg (63.8 KB, 78 views)

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Last edited by DuctTape; 05-19-2021 at 05:46 PM..
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:33 PM   #5
attrail

I was going to ask this same question about the bridge, but I didn't want things to get too busy. So yeah, how long is that lumber going to sit there?
attrail is offline   Reply With Quote