Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Other Places
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2021, 05:51 AM   #81
hikingandwildex
Member
 
hikingandwildex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: On the road again
Posts: 161
Just found the BSA calendar for that district, so I'll plan my Frontenac Falls visit around that. Back in January, I snowshoed a bunch of trails at Camp Cutler (near Ontario County Park) and figured there wouldn't be any activity there due to covid. Had those trails all to myself.
__________________
HIKING PHOTOBLOG
hikingandwildex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:51 PM   #82
BillyGr
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Is there a scout badge for skewering a trespasser?
Not that I know of - generally any type of shooting at/towards a person is not allowed for Scouts (even non dangerous things like laser games).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingandwildex View Post
Just found the BSA calendar for that district, so I'll plan my Frontenac Falls visit around that. Back in January, I snowshoed a bunch of trails at Camp Cutler (near Ontario County Park) and figured there wouldn't be any activity there due to covid. Had those trails all to myself.
Makes sense, but it is good to check with whoever is in charge, just to be sure you don't get into trouble for being on private property when you aren't supposed to be.
BillyGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:24 PM   #83
montcalm
Mobster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
Not that I know of - generally any type of shooting at/towards a person is not allowed for Scouts (even non dangerous things like laser games).
Is it better if I use the winky face?

I didn't think it was necessary, but carry on...


Some of those scout places are open to the public - I'm pretty sure Cutler is except during certain times of the year when they have camps there. But I'd definitely check, and if they ask you to check in, you probably should.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:32 PM   #84
hikingandwildex
Member
 
hikingandwildex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: On the road again
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
Makes sense, but it is good to check with whoever is in charge, just to be sure you don't get into trouble for being on private property when you aren't supposed to be.
Found a webpage that lists contact info for Camp Barton. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to make an inquiry before going.

Quote:
even non dangerous things like laser games
One of my favorite non-camping memories from my scouting days was playing laser tag one time. They should've had a merit badge for that.

Getting back to waterfalls, the heavy rains from Fred should improve waterfall viewing conditions across much of Upstate New York...



Delphi Falls SE of Syracuse will be a spectacle this week with that kind of rainfall!
__________________
HIKING PHOTOBLOG

Last edited by hikingandwildex; 08-18-2021 at 06:54 PM..
hikingandwildex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:40 PM   #85
hikingandwildex
Member
 
hikingandwildex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: On the road again
Posts: 161
Recent photo taken with my new GoPro Max. This is one of the places in Letchworth State Park where you can view multiple waterfalls at once, with the most popular being Inspiration Point on the other side of the river from where this photo was taken.



Not sure if this particular overlook has an official name. I call it "Triple Play Point" because you can see three waterfalls from this spot: Upper Letchworth Falls (far left), Middle Letchworth Falls (near left), and Dehgayasoh Falls (right side).
__________________
HIKING PHOTOBLOG
hikingandwildex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 11:41 AM   #86
montcalm
Mobster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,690
Taughannock high and low flow per FB, credit John Kucko Digital


(click the link, the image is far too large to display in the thread)
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 11:57 AM   #87
montcalm
Mobster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingandwildex View Post
For sure! I also checked out that hang-gliding spot at Mossy Bank Park that you mentioned earlier in this thread...
I miss Bath - when I lived down near there it was like one of the closest "big towns" to me. I have fond memories of going to the bike shop there - used to be Snyder's, but now is Wheels Unlimited.

I think I need to find an excuse to go back, although I really like Hammondsport as well... so I may get sidetracked a bit. Wish there was more good hiking down that way...
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:36 PM   #88
hikingandwildex
Member
 
hikingandwildex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: On the road again
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
I miss Bath - when I lived down near there it was like one of the closest "big towns" to me. I have fond memories of going to the bike shop there - used to be Snyder's, but now is Wheels Unlimited.

I think I need to find an excuse to go back, although I really like Hammondsport as well... so I may get sidetracked a bit. Wish there was more good hiking down that way...
If you're into wine, the vineyards in that area would qualify as a good excuse to go back. I'll always associate Hammondsport with going to Bully Hill Vineyards with my family when our electricity was knocked out from a freak October snowstorm. We weren't able to find any available generators out that way, but had a good time sampling different wines and seeing the fall colors.
__________________
HIKING PHOTOBLOG
hikingandwildex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:48 PM   #89
montcalm
Mobster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,690
Good suggestion. I've visited most of the wineries in that area, and north of Watkins Glen and Ithaca as well when I was younger and had no kids.

My favorite on is on the west side of Keuka - Dr. Frank's. Having triplet 4-year-olds doesn't make sitting back and sipping wine something I get to do very frequently, actually, like never LOL.

When I do go hiking it can't be very far and there can't be any dangerous areas (so no waterfalls). So I'm basically living vicariously through this forum, although slowing me down I've finally really put the effort into learning my ecology and applying it when I'm outside. Right now all I want to do is grow things and explore different ecological communities.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:14 PM   #90
hikingandwildex
Member
 
hikingandwildex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: On the road again
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Good suggestion. I've visited most of the wineries in that area, and north of Watkins Glen and Ithaca as well when I was younger and had no kids.

My favorite on is on the west side of Keuka - Dr. Frank's. Having triplet 4-year-olds doesn't make sitting back and sipping wine something I get to do very frequently, actually, like never LOL.

When I do go hiking it can't be very far and there can't be any dangerous areas (so no waterfalls). So I'm basically living vicariously through this forum, although slowing me down I've finally really put the effort into learning my ecology and applying it when I'm outside. Right now all I want to do is grow things and explore different ecological communities.
I'll have to keep Dr. Frank's in mind the next time I'm out that way. Maybe I'll include the wine tasting segment with my trip report and you can live vicariously though that.

Looking at the FLLT's website, the Parker Nature Preserve is nearby, looks fairly scenic, and doesn't appear to be overly strenuous. That could be one option. Mossy Bank Park's trails were also very easy (you can ignore AllTrails' "moderate" rating -- most of their trails wouldn't even be considered moderate by your average four year-old, I wouldn't think.) And then there's always the Sugar Hill fire tower that has a short, flat path leading to it from the main parking area.
__________________
HIKING PHOTOBLOG
hikingandwildex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:22 PM   #91
montcalm
Mobster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingandwildex View Post
I'll have to keep Dr. Frank's in mind the next time I'm out that way. Maybe I'll include the wine tasting segment with my trip report and you can live vicariously though that.

Looking at the FLLT's website, the Parker Nature Preserve is nearby, looks fairly scenic, and doesn't appear to be overly strenuous. That could be one option. Mossy Bank Park's trails were also very easy (you can ignore AllTrails' "moderate" rating -- most of their trails wouldn't even be considered moderate by your average four year-old, I wouldn't think.) And then there's always the Sugar Hill fire tower that has a short, flat path leading to it from the main parking area.
Mossy bank would be fine, there's a playground and such. But it's a long drive to go to a playground, for which we have many closer.

It's not so much difficulty, but boredom factor with the young ones. It has to be interesting enough that they want to go, and not so crazy that they get scared, or are unaware and getting near danger (3 is a lot to wrangle). Anyway, I won't bore you with that They seem to do better with bikes than hikes. Soon enough they won't want to have anything to do with me, and I'll have all sorts of free time to myself, probably more than I want.

Dr. Frank's is definitely one to hit if you haven't. It's not as touristy as Bully Hill, but I like the wine better. They have a nice deck and indoor tasting room overlooking the lake.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:46 PM   #92
hikingandwildex
Member
 
hikingandwildex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: On the road again
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Soon enough they won't want to have anything to do with me
Either that, or they'll really get into the same activities that you enjoy, and then you'll get to do those activities with them... at least until they're teenagers... nobody wants to hang out with their parents at that age!

Wish I could think of fun activities that you all could enjoy in the Keuka Lake area, that would make the drive down there worthwhile. I'm stumped, seeing as things like hayrides, corn mazes, and cider mills all can be found around the metro area.

Ok, now I'm developing a craving for apple cider and doughnuts!
__________________
HIKING PHOTOBLOG
hikingandwildex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:06 PM   #93
montcalm
Mobster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,690
No big deal - my mother lives not far from there in the house I grew up in. So it's not like I don't get down there, just not always motivated to drive the little extra to Bath or Hammondsport. I'll be back, I'm sure.

Likely once the kids are little bigger and we have an extra hand we'll visit places like Treman and Watkins Glen, because the main trails are relatively kid safe, and nice scenic walks.

Ideally I want to get back to the Adirondacks and ski, climb and ride. Lots of new stuff has come into play that I haven't been able to get at, but I'm sure in the next few years I'll get after it.

I meant more or less that the way things go, they'll be all grown up before I know it. I'm sure I'll have lots of adventures with them. But as I was saying, right now I'm kind of intolerable to most sane people because I'm identifying trees and plants, and constantly quizzing my wife and kids on it. They are getting good with oaks, pines and nut trees.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:39 PM   #94
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club
 
chairrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,706
[QUOTE=hikingandwildex;286865]I'll have to keep Dr. Frank's in mind the next time I'm out that way. Maybe I'll include the wine tasting segment with my trip report and you can live vicariously though that.

Dr Frank makes a great inexpensive "champagne" , their CELEBRE' Pink is one of our favorites.The White is also wonderful.
"Our Célèbre Rosé is a 55% Pinot Noir, 34% Chardonnay, and 11% Pinot Meunier blend from our estate vineyards on Keuka Lake. The grapes are hand harvested and very lightly pressed. Secondary fermentation took place in bottle for a minimum of one year in our historic underground cellar.

Light salmon in color, the wine leads with ripe strawberry, passion fruit, and pineapple. Méthode Champenoise adds aromas of bread and toast. The taste is crisp and clean. The high acidity balances the sweetness perfectly, seemingly light in body. The flavors are persistent, finishing with honeycrisp apple.

Pan Asian Cuisine (especially spicy), Sushi, Lamb, Pork, Salmon (Grilled), Slightly Sweet Desserts with Berries."
__________________
Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:52 PM   #95
hikingandwildex
Member
 
hikingandwildex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: On the road again
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingandwildex View Post
Light salmon in color, the wine leads with ripe strawberry, passion fruit, and pineapple. Méthode Champenoise adds aromas of bread and toast. The taste is crisp and clean. The high acidity balances the sweetness perfectly, seemingly light in body. The flavors are persistent, finishing with honeycrisp apple.
Now that's what the Dr. ordered!
__________________
HIKING PHOTOBLOG
hikingandwildex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:38 PM   #96
montcalm
Mobster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,690
Not a waterfall or winery, but if you are in this region, this place is, or at least used to be, phenomenal.

https://www.stonecatcafe.com/

It's on the east side of Seneca Lake very near Finger Lakes National Forest.

When you go to Naples, I recommend doing Roots.


Oh and for the Dr. Franks, you can get it at most liquor stores at least in Rochester, not sure about Buffalo. The stuff they have at the winery is better. I like their sparkling wines as well, the Celebre is tasty. I usually prefer the Gewurztraminer but it really varies a lot year to year. I like their Riesling as well but I think the Reserve is much better - straight Riesling can be a little too acidic for me.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:51 PM   #97
hikingandwildex
Member
 
hikingandwildex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: On the road again
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Not a waterfall or winery, but if you are in this region, this place is, or at least used to be, phenomenal.

https://www.stonecatcafe.com/

It's on the east side of Seneca Lake very near Finger Lakes National Forest.

When you go to Naples, I recommend doing Roots.
Thanks for the recommendations. I know I'll be going back to this thread in the trip planning process!
__________________
HIKING PHOTOBLOG
hikingandwildex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:05 PM   #98
montcalm
Mobster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,690
I think the name of this thread is misleading... perhaps it will need to be changed to an all-inclusive southern Finger Lakes region travel guide


Even though we're pretty close, what I've done in the past is camped near Ithaca (at Buttermilk - it's slightly less crazy than Treman) and then wine toured both Seneca and Cayuga lake from there. There's a LOT of wineries between those two, and some great restaurants along the lake and both in Watkins Glen and Ithaca.

Keuka and Canandaigua have far less, but still a worthwhile area to tour wineries and restaurants.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:50 PM   #99
hikingandwildex
Member
 
hikingandwildex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: On the road again
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
I think the name of this thread is misleading... perhaps it will need to be changed to an all-inclusive southern Finger Lakes region travel guide


Even though we're pretty close, what I've done in the past is camped near Ithaca (at Buttermilk - it's slightly less crazy than Treman) and then wine toured both Seneca and Cayuga lake from there. There's a LOT of wineries between those two, and some great restaurants along the lake and both in Watkins Glen and Ithaca.

Keuka and Canandaigua have far less, but still a worthwhile area to tour wineries and restaurants.
If I had known, I would have named this thread "Finger Lakes Without Waterfalls" and left it at that! Oh well... no going back now!

Yeah, there are tons of wineries between the two largest Finger Lakes. If you ever find yourself traveling along Lake Erie near the NY/PA state line, there's a lot out that way as well. My personal favorite is the Merritt Estate winery near Fredonia. There's also the Grape Discovery Center in Westfield where you can sample an assortment of wines made nearby. That might be a good starting point for those unfamiliar with the winemakers in that region.
__________________
HIKING PHOTOBLOG
hikingandwildex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:15 PM   #100
St.Regis
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,466
One Fall I was doing a job in the Finger Lakes region and my friend, knowing that I was working over that way, asked me to buy her a grape pie. I never heard of grape pie. Anyway, I stopped at a roadside stand somewhere between Penn Yan and Branchport and I bought two pies. My only reget was that I didn't buy three
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

DISCLAIMER: Use of these forums, and information found herein, is at your own risk. Use of this site by members and non-members alike is only granted by the adkhighpeak.com administration provided the terms and conditions found in the FULL DISCLAIMER have been read. Continued use of this site implies that you have read, understood and agree to the terms and conditions of this site. Any questions can be directed to the Administrator of this site.