Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2009, 10:55 PM   #21
VTPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclimber View Post
So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. A great friend of mine also knew Dan and his passenger and was pretty shaken up telling me the story of what she knew.
You won't be able to get to the plane crash site by trail or herdpath, it's a bushwhack, as it's on the Twin Slides of Santanoni.

My understanding is, the other crash on Santanoni in 1984 was also on the Twin Slides, just several feet apart. Very sad and tragic on both accidents.
Do you need equipment for the bushwhack besides GPS and compass? Ropes? What is the terrain like in that area? I was thinking of flying over tomorrow or Wednesday to get a look from the air first.
VTPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:38 PM   #22
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTPilot View Post
Do you need equipment for the bushwhack besides GPS and compass? Ropes? What is the terrain like in that area? I was thinking of flying over tomorrow or Wednesday to get a look from the air first.
Yes a GPS and map would be a neccessity to find your way to the slides.
To be totally honest, I have never done the Twin Slides of Santanoni but only the Ermine Slide of Santanoni. Of course been up Santanoni Peak many times by regular herd-path. Overall the Santanoni Range is rough country but beautiful country.
I know of others who have done the Twin Slides and ropes are not needed to ascend them.
Hope you have a great flight tomorrow and the sun shining brightly, so you can see for yourself how beautiful it truly is there.

Paul Jamieson Class of '58
Skyclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:59 AM   #23
randomscooter
Native Earthling

A trip report from a few years ago.

"Pushing the limits of easy."
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:26 AM   #24
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

This thread has been off-topic since post #2!

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:05 AM   #25
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALGonquin Bob View Post
This thread has been off-topic since post #2!
Not really. Some thread drift, but generally on topic of plane crashes in the Adirondacks, including some postings regarding the original one. OK to carry on...

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:04 PM   #26
Neil
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
Not really. Some thread drift, but generally on topic of plane crashes in the Adirondacks, including some postings regarding the original one. OK to carry on...

Dick
Agreed.

Instead of focusing on this specific plane crash the thread has focused on plane crashes in general.

But, the same topic is running on 2 other English language forums and one French language forum. Each forum has its own personality and the topic went in multiple directions depending on the forum.

Regardless of all of these details and history, there are families currently dealing with the most acute stages of this tragedy and who will spend years, if not their entire lifetimes, grieving.

Whenever I look over at Mt. Santanoni I'll be reminded of that.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:25 PM   #27
VTPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomscooter View Post
A trip report from a few years ago.
Thank you for the link. The link for the pictures doesn't work anymore though.
VTPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #28
Neil
Admin

Here is a photo looking down the slide taken last spring.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #29
hdscooterfool

How 11/17/09 plane crash (Santanoni) site was found

NYSDEC Dispatcher Helps Locate Downed Plane in the High Peaks

DEC Dispatcher Ann MacBride played an important role in the quick location of a plane that crashed on a remote mountainside in High Peaks Wilderness of the Adirondacks.

At approximately 10 PM, a friend of the two men in the plane contacted the DEC Dispatch Center in Ray Brook, stating that their flight was overdue. Within minutes, Ann was on the phone with New York State Police, the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center at the Tyndall Air Force Base in Florida, and the Rocky Mountain Region Civil Air Patrol.

Forensic radar analysis by the Air Force and Civil Air Patrol determined the flight path, altitude, angle of approach and speed of the aircraft. Using this information, Ann was able to determine the location of a possible crash site on the south side of Santanoni Mountain.

Crash Coordinates: Nearly Perfect!

At daylight, a State Police Aviation Unit helicopter carrying two DEC forest rangers flew directly to the coordinates provided and located the downed airplane within 200 feet of the projected point of impact. Unfortunately, when a forest ranger was hoisted down to the aircraft, he found that both its occupants were deceased.

Ann has been involved with search and rescue efforts in New York State for many years. Having recently been trained in searching for downed aircraft, Ann not only had knowledge of the proper terminology to communicate with the professional air searchers but also was able to ask the appropriate questions.

Ann's work saved searchers a lot of time and effort in ground and air search activity, and significantly reduced the response time of the emergency responders. Although, in this case, both men were already deceased when rescuers located them, under other circumstances Ann's speed and accuracy could have made the difference between life or death.

Last edited by hdscooterfool; 12-10-2009 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: misspelling
hdscooterfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:59 PM   #30
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I hope it's OK that I've revived this thread, but it's relevant.

Does anyone know what the story is behind the plane crash on Old Far? I stumbled across it earlier today while climbing Old Far from the Walker Brook access beneath the Northway. It is indeed the Old Far in what was (at the time that this thread was originally active) once the Dix Mountain Wilderness.

The plane was located maybe about 2 tenths of a mile west of the summit. I believe that you can actually see a piece of it in the aerial imagery of the mountain- it's the white speck just above the "plus" sign that marks the center of the image.

I tried to do a google search for any information about the crash, but "Old Far Mountain" is such a generic name I had no luck. The only somewhat relevant result I got was a link to this thread...

Last edited by DSettahr; 09-17-2021 at 10:02 PM..
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:34 PM   #31
TCD

Wow, DS. What in the world are you doing in there? That's a pretty obscure location.

I have some plans of my own to go look for climbing cliffs in that general area. But I didn't think anyone else EVER went in there...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:36 AM   #32
Wldrns

DS: If anyone knows, it will be retired Ranger Scott Van Laer. As you probably know, he has been compiling the history of Adirondack aircraft crash incidents for many years. He is the manager at the Paul Smith's VIC now.

Last edited by Wldrns; 09-18-2021 at 09:04 AM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:37 AM   #33
Rivet
Likes to hike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I tried to do a google search for any information about the crash, but "Old Far Mountain" is such a generic name I had no luck. The only somewhat relevant result I got was a link to this thread...
I found this on an old blog post...

Quote:
AnonymousApril 25, 2016 at 5:19 PM
I believe that the wreckage is the plane my father-in-law was piloting. It went down on Old Far mountain in freezing rain on 11/11/1981. He was the only person onboard and was killed in the crash. HIs name is Rev. Donald H. Brandt.
Camel's Hump, Camel Mtn, Old Far Mountain & Little Far Mtn - 11/16/12
Old 09-18-2021, 08:56 AM   #34
Rivet
Likes to hike

Old Far plane crash

found this with a little more digging ...

Code:
NTSB Identification: NYC82FA008
14 CFR Part 91 General Aviation
Aircraft: PIPER PA-28, registration: N4919T
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 FILE    DATE          LOCATION          AIRCRAFT DATA       INJURIES       FLIGHT                        PILOT DATA
                                                               F  S M/N     PURPOSE
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3-3279  81/11/11 NR.NORTH HUDSON,NY    PIPER PA-28         CR-  1  0  0  NONCOMMERCIAL             PRIVATE, AGE 54, 266
        TIME - 1745                    N4919T              PX-  0  0  0  PLEASURE/PERSONAL TRANSP  TOTAL HOURS, UNK/NR IN
                                       DAMAGE-DESTROYED    OT-  0  0  0                            TYPE, NOT INSTRUMENT
                                                                                                   RATED.
        DEPARTURE POINT             INTENDED DESTINATION
          SCHENECTADY,NY              PLATTSBURGH,NY
        TYPE OF ACCIDENT                                         PHASE OF OPERATION
           COLLISION WITH GROUND/WATER: CONTROLLED                  IN FLIGHT: NORMAL CRUISE
        PROBABLE CAUSE(S)
           PILOT IN COMMAND - CONTINUED VFR FLIGHT INTO ADVERSE WEATHER CONDITIONS
        FACTOR(S)
           WEATHER - FOG
           WEATHER - SNOW
        WEATHER BRIEFING - BRIEFED BY FLIGHT SERVICE PERSONNEL, BY PHONE
        WEATHER FORECAST - WEATHER SLIGHTLY WORSE THAN FORECAST
        SKY CONDITION                                            CEILING AT ACCIDENT SITE
          UNKNOWN/NOT REPORTED                                     UNKNOWN/NOT REPORTED
        VISIBILITY AT ACCIDENT SITE                              PRECIPITATION AT ACCIDENT SITE
          1 MILE OR LESS                                            FREEZING RAIN, SNOW
        OBSTRUCTIONS TO VISION AT ACCIDENT SITE                  TYPE OF WEATHER CONDITIONS
          FOG                                                      IFR
        TYPE OF FLIGHT PLAN
          VFR
brief report
Old 09-18-2021, 09:52 AM   #35
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Wow, DS. What in the world are you doing in there? That's a pretty obscure location.

I have some plans of my own to go look for climbing cliffs in that general area. But I didn't think anyone else EVER went in there...
I've been spending the odd day back in there every so often over the past few years. It's a bushwhacker's paradise... Open forest, interesting rocky/ledgey terrain, bald summits with amazing views, etc. And tons of history- the West Mill Brook access/herd path I believe follows the original 1800's road route from the iron mines at Upper Works to Lake Champlain. A few years ago I did Camels Hump and Camel Mountain from West Mill Brook- Camels Hump had astounding views.

My original goal for yesterday's hike was Niagara and/or Nippletop (the "other Nippletop"), but the low cloud ceiling for the day convinced me to pick a lower peak instead. Seems like those two are worth saving for a nice day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
DS: If anyone knows, it will be retired Ranger Scott Van Laer. As you probably know, he has been compiling the history of Adirondack aircraft crash incidents for many years. He is the manager at the Paul Smith's VIC now.
Reaching out to Scott was my follow-up plan if this thread proved fruitless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
I found this on an old blog post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
found this with a little more digging ...
Thanks! This is exactly the info I was hoping for.

Last edited by DSettahr; 09-18-2021 at 10:24 AM..
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote