Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #1
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

A true ADKer

What things would you say makes someone a true ADK afficionado? Now that I've done the 46, I'm looking for something I can focus on, as I have to plan my out trips with care given the distance I drive. I have to have a good plan when I get up there. It seems like a master ADK woodsman bucket list would be something like (clearly my focus has been hiking):

drink water from the spring on exit 30
climb the 46
climb the Trapdike
climb the 46 in winter (maybe?)
walk the NPT
do the Great Range
do at least 1 overnight canoe trip
see a bear
hunt
fish

What things can't you skip if you want to fully embrace the Adirondacks?
http://edthesmokebeard.com/
Old 02-04-2016, 03:04 PM   #2
WBB

Be born there
Go to school there
Raise a family there
Run a business there
Be an active member of your community

All the other activities you mentioned are great fun and very rewarding but it is the people who are living in the North County, working and raising families in the face of many hardships that are the true ADKers.

The rest of us are just visitors.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:24 PM   #3
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Downhill From Here View Post
What things would you say makes someone a true ADK afficionado? Now that I've done the 46, I'm looking for something I can focus on, as I have to plan my out trips with care given the distance I drive. I have to have a good plan when I get up there. It seems like a master ADK woodsman bucket list would be something like (clearly my focus has been hiking):

climb the 46
climb the Trapdike
walk the NPT
do the Great Range
see a bear
hunt
fish

What things can't you skip if you want to fully embrace the Adirondacks?
I think that WBB is being a little tough on you.
We're all visitors on this Earth.
The spring near exit 30 is a great source, although there's more than enough litter there.
I've never felt the need (for me) to climb all the 46 peaks.
I have walked the Great Range. Almost a religious experience.
There's no better way than a two or three or more day canoe trip to really feel the essence of the ADK's.
See a bear?
Just leave your pack near or in your tent at most any remote campsite.
Hunt and fish????
Just do it!!!!
Have fun,
Jim
Old 02-04-2016, 04:57 PM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

IMHO, if you haven't paddled the wilderness lakes, ponds and streams, you've missed half of the Adirondacks...
I've spent over 50 years paddling ADK waters (how the heck did that happen!?) and the list of new places to paddle grows longer every year!
Old 02-04-2016, 05:05 PM   #5
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Downhill From Here View Post
climb the 46
climb the Trapdike
walk the NPT
do the Great Range
see a bear
hunt
fish
I consider myself an Adirondacker, and I don't do a lot of those things.

I've done a zillion canoe trips but never climbed the trap dike, never will I suspect. I'd likely ski down the trap dike before I climbed it.

Don't really think climbing the 46 and contributing to the growing crowds and trail erosion is my idea of fun. To me it's more like the High Peaks highway for most of them... meh...

I think maybe you're an Adiorndacker if you love the Adirondacks. Bucket lists are lame to me.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:28 PM   #6
Hard Scrabble

It seems to me that our society has become enamored with what we've done and forgotten the essence of the experience.
I've done this or that, that makes me a better person than you.
I'm as guilty as all of you, I killed the bigger buck, I caught the bigger fish.
Let's all just relax and enjoy what time we have.
Jim
Old 02-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Simple....
A true Adirondacker is someone who enjoys being in the Adirondacks year round.
A true Adirondacker would rather be in the Adirondacks than anywhere else.
A true Adirondacker enjoys doing Adirondack related activities.
A true Adirondacker loves its mountains, waters, wetlands, woodlands, and towns.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:40 PM   #8
WBB

My apology if the tone of my reply was harsh. My Grandfather brought his family to the Northerner edge of the Adirondacks from Quebec in 1948, settling on a small dairy farm which supported three generations of his family. While having been born there I lived only briefly in the North Country before my father's employment had us return to Western New York. Neither my grandfather nor any of my uncles ever climbed a High Peak, or hiked the NPT or drank from a spring other then the one that flowed on the farm, but they certainly were true ADKers in every sense of the word.

I was fortunate to have been exposed to the activities that All Downhill From Here mentioned from an early age and I am extremely thankful for that. I have done most of the thing he listed and more. I will continue to avail myself of as many opportunities to explore the region that I can, but until I'm willing to make the commitment to live and experience all the Adirondacks has to throw at me 12 months a year as a permanent residence I will refrain from calling myself a true ADK'er out of respect for those who have made that choice.

That being said if the question posed is what other activities would I suggest to someone to have a greater appreciation for the park I would add:

Ski Whiteface
Spend a few nights at small roadside motel and inn.(The Tap Room in Raquette Lake comes to mind.)
Visit a Great Camp to experience how the other half lived in 1900.
Climb a Fire Tower or two
Visit the Adirondack Museum, and the Wild Center.
Attend Mass or Church services at one of the many small churches through out the park
Attend a fireman's picnic and have a chicken barbecue.
Spend a night in a lean to during a thunder storm.
Skinny dip in a secluded lake.

Lastly and most importantly take as much enjoyment and pleasure from what ever activity you choose to do with people you love and who's company you cherish.

Last edited by WBB; 02-04-2016 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: Spelling error
Old 02-04-2016, 07:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
It seems to me that our society has become enamored with what we've done and forgotten the essence of the experience.
I've done this or that, that makes me a better person than you.
I'm as guilty as all of you, I killed the bigger buck, I caught the bigger fish.
Let's all just relax and enjoy what time we have.
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Simple....
A true Adirondacker loves its mountains, waters, wetlands, woodlands, and towns.
What they said

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

Old 02-04-2016, 10:31 PM   #10
TCD

I often paraphrase Alex Lowe, and I will again: The best Adirondacker is the one who is having the most fun (within the context of the Adirondack culture and ethics, of course).

And it's never one size fits all. My favorite activity is bushwhacking in new areas, being curious and surprised by what I find around the next corner or over the next hill; I never get tired of it. Other folks enjoy other things. Lots to do here!
Old 02-04-2016, 11:20 PM   #11
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBB View Post
Ski Whiteface
Spend a few nights at small roadside motel and inn.(The Tap Room in Raquette Lake comes to mind.)
Visit a Great Camp to experience how the other half lived in 1900.
Climb a Fire Tower or two
Visit the Adirondack Museum, and the Wild Center.
Attend Mass or Church services at one of the many small churches through out the park
Attend a fireman's picnic and have a chicken barbecue.
Spend a night in a lean to during a thunder storm.
Skinny dip in a secluded lake.

Lastly and most importantly take as much enjoyment and pleasure from what ever activity you choose to do with people you love and who's company you cherish.
Thanks WBB for the useful reply. As someone who lives 5-6 hours away and gets realistically pnly 2 3-day weekends a year up there, I was looking for suggestions on other experiences to round out the ones I've had.
http://edthesmokebeard.com/
Old 02-04-2016, 11:35 PM   #12
rickhart

Besides the things WBB & others mentioned, on longer trips when I want a rest day from hiking or paddling, I like to drive around. Not too environmentally sound, carbon footprint and all that, oh well. There are lots of craftspeople selling their work, themselves or in small galleries. Ditto small roadside food places, ranging from awful to great, but it's an adventure. As with hikes & paddles, I like best to make a big loop, rather than there-and-back.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:45 AM   #13
serotonin
ember

...looking for an Honest man;

Quote:
Simple....
Not for the first time, have my dogs and I shared with you (everyone),
something like this: http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/.../diogenes.html
Old 02-05-2016, 03:16 AM   #14
serotonin
ember

True ADKer

Show me one (1) honest man...

I can wait, but you can't do it.

I've never been lied to, by a Trout.

Nor by a Carpathian War Dog.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:32 AM   #15
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
I doubt there's a man alive who can honestly say that.

But I know what you mean.

"Pushing the limits of easy."™
Old 02-05-2016, 08:32 AM   #16
WBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhart View Post
As with hikes & paddles, I like best to make a big loop, rather than there-and-back.
Always try to take a different way home.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost
Old 02-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #17
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
Good point.
You're not a true Adirondacker until you've had fresh Adirondack brook trout for breakfast cooked over an open campfire!
Old 02-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #18
Jackson

Quote:
Simple....
I'm with Justin 100%. I don't live in the Adks but I do have family there and spend as much time as I can in the different Adk locales, exploring, hiking, camping, fishing, etc... When I am not in the Adirondacks I am planning my next visit....we all have our own personal adventures, goals, memories, our own nirvana so to speak....as long as we all love it here and respect the great outdoors...it is a great thing!! Best wishes to all.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:14 PM   #19
kwc
loser

Labels and Lists ... sheesh.

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #20
Buckladd

I get WBB's initial point, as I am a native myself with roots going back at least to the mid-1800s. Yet, I welcome anyone here who has good intentions.

Also, I know not everyone here is a sportsman but when I hear the term "woodsman" I think of the big picture and that includes hunting, fishing and trapping. Still, I don't really put much stock in checklists. Although I've hiked about 15-20 of the Peaks, paddled and camped on many waters, done the 90-miler, taken my share of fish and game throughout the Park, heated my home and camps with wood from my own Adirondack property, grown my own food in Adirondack soil, done and will continue to do my share of volunteering and philanthropy, attended college and work in or very near the Adirondacks and married myself and Adirondack girl.

Yet, there is still so much I haven't done. I'm just drawn to the Adirondacks for so many reasons on any given day. My friends tell me I need to get below Exit 20 once in a while. I say just enjoy the place for whatever it is you like to do and take it with you wherever you go.
Closed Thread