Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2016, 08:52 PM   #1
Johnny88

The worst polluter in the park is...

...none other than the Adirondack Mountain Club who are partners with LeaveNoTrace.org Why you ask?

Because during this year's annual airlift to restock John's Brook Lodge, the helicopter dropped a 50 gallon barrel of raw human wast and everything that goes with it in the vicinity of the Southside Trail and the Range Trail. ADK then sent out a single employee to "clean up" the mess. How's that for Leave No Trace?
Johnny88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:29 PM   #2
tgoodwin

Hey, in this case it is literally s*it happens. Maybe they should have done more initially to mitigate the mess, but for at least 30 years ADK has been paying big bucks to have those barrels flown out in order to significantly reduce their "trace" in the Johns Brook Valley.

When I worked there, now 50 years ago, we dealt with a septic system that even then we perceived as inadequate given that it was a narrow piece of land between Black Brook and Johns Brook. The sewage wasn't dumped directly in the brook by any means, but it was a pretty short leach field to Black Brook.

Rather than criticize for one unfortunate, but ultimately not that serious incident, recognize that any "solution" has its risks and that one must weigh the overall gain along with the incidental loss.
tgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:35 PM   #3
Neil
Admin

I would have thought that the biggest polluters in the park were people like me who drive our cars inside the blue line. Also, all the hikers who sh*t in the woods and don't bury it properly. Probably 50 gallons a day in the "high" season.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:35 AM   #4
Buckladd

Cigarette smokers; whether from cars, boats, on foot, private or public land. It doesn't matter.
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #5
Trail Boss

March 2012, descending the Algonquin trail to Lake Colden, a few feet from the first stream crossing, I encountered this which was probably air-dropped from a height of two feet.

I understand your concern but (we) hikers are far more frequent polluters than the freak occurrence of a helicopter-launched poop-bomb.

BTW, that could've been non-human but it sure does make an impression doesn't it? Neil's has a pic posted on Facebook that is clearly of human origin (a copious pile of toilet-paper ... plus a sock).
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:18 PM   #6
montcalm
Mobster

I thought maybe it was these guys:

montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #7
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny88 View Post
...none other than the Adirondack Mountain Club who are partners with LeaveNoTrace.org Why you ask?

Because during this year's annual airlift to restock John's Brook Lodge, the helicopter dropped a 50 gallon barrel of raw human wast and everything that goes with it in the vicinity of the Southside Trail and the Range Trail. ADK then sent out a single employee to "clean up" the mess. How's that for Leave No Trace?
Why "dump" on the Club?
It was an accident.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:15 PM   #8
Robony

In this case you have to feel really bad for that single employee. Don't ya?
Robony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #9
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robony View Post
In this case you have to feel really bad for that single employee. Don't ya?
Yes, I do.
Would I label the Adirondack Mountain Club the worst polluter??
A resounding NO!
Jim
Old 06-17-2016, 05:21 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
Neil's has a pic posted on Facebook that is clearly of human origin (a copious pile of toilet-paper ... plus a sock.)
I saw that also.
Neil, really dude?!?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:57 PM   #11
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

" I encountered this which was probably air-dropped from a height of two feet." Trail Boss

Wow. What was that critter into? Didn't that bear know that he has to bury that?
Old 06-17-2016, 08:10 PM   #12
Tug Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
March 2012, descending the Algonquin trail to Lake Colden, a few feet from the first stream crossing, I encountered this which was probably air-dropped from a height of two feet.

I understand your concern but (we) hikers are far more frequent polluters than the freak occurrence of a helicopter-launched poop-bomb.

BTW, that could've been non-human but it sure does make an impression doesn't it? Neil's has a pic posted on Facebook that is clearly of human origin (a copious pile of toilet-paper ... plus a sock).

I was hoping that the picture answered the age old question,"does a bear $hit in the woods ?" But I guess presence of toilet paper debunks that ?
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #13
Johnny88

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoodwin View Post
Hey, in this case it is literally s*it happens. Maybe they should have done more initially to mitigate the mess, but for at least 30 years ADK has been paying big bucks to have those barrels flown out in order to significantly reduce their "trace" in the Johns Brook Valley.

When I worked there, now 50 years ago, we dealt with a septic system that even then we perceived as inadequate given that it was a narrow piece of land between Black Brook and Johns Brook. The sewage wasn't dumped directly in the brook by any means, but it was a pretty short leach field to Black Brook.

Rather than criticize for one unfortunate, but ultimately not that serious incident, recognize that any "solution" has its risks and that one must weigh the overall gain along with the incidental loss.
Why do back country users need a full service hotel a mere 3.5 miles from the trailhead? JBL is a joke, and don't talk to me about "tradition". And be honest, this wasn't the only time a blue barrel fell from the sky.
Johnny88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:37 AM   #14
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

I agree on JBL - why is it there? Don't the various areas in the blue line have the name 'Wilderness' after them? Shouldn't it be 'wild' ?
http://edthesmokebeard.com/
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:55 PM   #15
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Downhill From Here View Post
I agree on JBL - why is it there? Don't the various areas in the blue line have the name 'Wilderness' after them? Shouldn't it be 'wild' ?
Uh...because it's on private land?
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:50 PM   #16
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Downhill From Here View Post
Because, my friend, we cannot create "wilderness".
Wilderness, in the AdK's existed one hundred or more years ago.
A state edict can't set back the clock.
Too many people.
Jim
Old 06-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #17
Bounder45

So if human waste is considered pollution, what should we consider deer or bear scat?

Excrement from any species usually biodegrades in a fairly quick fashion in the ADK's. Obviously taking a dump on the frozen ground will result in a prolonged breakdown process, but it nature will take its course soon enough. I do appreciate why certain groups airlift out the waste, due to the high number of visitors to certain areas of the ADK's. But in most areas, moving off the trail, digging a hole and doing your business is good enough.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:37 PM   #18
Neil
Admin

Everybody is entitled to their own opinions and have every right to express them.
Regarding the OP it is my opinion that the poster loves to hate the ADK and Johns Brook Lodge. This incident probably had him rubbing his hands in glee. However, the unrolling of the thread must be a major disappointment.

Like, wtf, the other people have a balanced view of things?

Without the ADK Mountain Club (along with the 46ers) and their efforts at protecting the High Peaks from the onslaught of under-educated hikers the trails, camping spots and summits would be trashed beyond all recognition. (T-Bard that is)
Old 06-20-2016, 02:47 PM   #19
PaulK

Well said Neil!
PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:12 PM   #20
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Someone signed up on an ADK forum and their first two posts was to hate on the ADK club?!?

We all would like the Adirondacks to be as natural as possible but the only way that is happening as if we close it to all human kind. Even then air pollution and other things from modern society will still effect it. No, I like visiting and experiencing the Adirondacks, even if it comes at the price of a lodge (or two) on the trail.

It's too bad this happened, but it's a simple accident. I hope they learn from the accident and take precautions in the future to prevent something similar from happening again.

44/46 Almost there!
26/46 barefoot
ADK Black River Chapter
Adirondackiteer is offline   Reply With Quote