Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2021, 03:14 AM   #1
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

canoe camping

Hey Folks,

Working my way into canoe camping. Been looking at videos of Lake Lila, Lowes ,bog flow area and it does not look very inviting for swimming or Have i not seen enough Youtube Videos? I'm ISO a spot that has good swimming and clean like over on some Follensby Pond spots. I'm open to any spot suggestions or area.

Thanks In advance.

Viewseeker
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:40 AM   #2
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Based on my incomplete experience with those lakes I would say there is some quite nice swimming, off large rocks or sandy beaches, and some sites are next to nice swimming spots. Some sites are in areas where the bottom is covered with rotten branches, or mucky, or otherwise not ideal. I think if you look around you'll be able to find a place to swim, either at your campsite or somewhere not too far away.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:03 AM   #3
Wldrns

Zach is correct. You are looking at natural Adirondack wilderness lakes. Who expects perfectly groomed hard packed white sand beaches? Some shorelines are sandy, but many more are not so much and may be mucky, weedy, or loaded with stumps and sunken sticks and log hazards. Llila and Little Tupper have some sand beaches. Lows (there is no "e" in Lows) in partiular does have a few sandy beaches, although several of them are off limits to the public during summer season when the BSA camp is in session (even if they appear to be "unused and unoccupied" at the time you are there). But there are a few other public campsites that are available to other campers, notably #10, #18, #20 and a couple of others with sandy bottoms. You will find them if you look.

Last edited by Wldrns; 05-29-2021 at 08:32 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:57 AM   #4
montcalm
Mobster

My general experience has been there are far better beaches and swimming in Lows and Lila than Follensby Pond.

Lows is a reservoir, technically, that was a series of smaller chain ponds before the dams were built. Despite it not being natural, it creates a number of different shoreline attributes.

I won't tell you where that is exactly, but it's not a secret and anyone who's been to the area could easily figure it out. If you wander around out there, you'll find it. There is a large cove here that is all shallow water, and all sand bottom. Something about the chemistry or seasonal depth change doesn't allow plants to grow here. Anyway, it's a nice "natural" beach. You don't need to camp at the near sites to enjoy it, but be courteous because there are a couple sites in the vicinity.

Lila's beaches tend to be a little more natural, for lack of a better term. It's a natural lake, and there are spots where there are weeds. I don't find them offensive actually. I'm not sure the weeds like it much, but where they aren't thick it's perfectly fine for a dip - the ones in the background aren't slimy or unpleasant.

Like Zach says, there's also rock beaches on Lila which aren't bad.

Both also have boggy areas - as you can guess, Lows has a large area to the south of the floodplain.

Keep in mind in a canoe you can see a lot farther than you can hiking on a trail. Keep your eyes open and check out things that seem promising. If you're a viewseeker, this shouldn't be too difficult.

Last edited by montcalm; 05-29-2021 at 09:54 AM..
montcalm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:11 PM   #5
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

If you don't mind the crowds and motors, Long lake has many nice swimming beaches. Stillwater has good beaches and fewer crowds.
Little Tup. has leaches, so be prepared.

Many shallow sandy/rocky shorelines will be 'scoured' by ice and will lack vegetation.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:12 PM   #6
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Not looking at perfect, But i do want to find a spot to swim at my camp spot if possible. I've camped at stillwater many times, going for new areas without leaches lol. yuk. All new areas to learn, figure out. Thanks for the heads up. I still need to actually buy the Paddlers Map. DId i see there are multi versions or areas coverage my the map?

V
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
Old 05-29-2021, 09:21 PM   #7
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

If it doesn't warm up and stay that way you had better bring a wetsuit!
Old 05-30-2021, 08:07 PM   #8
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
If it doesn't warm up and stay that way you had better bring a wetsuit!
LOL yup its not till July so thinking positive
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
Old 06-13-2021, 07:49 PM   #9
vchops

Lila is spectacular, you wont be disappointed.
vchops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:04 AM   #10
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchops View Post
Lila is spectacular, you wont be disappointed.
Great Thank you
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
Old 06-16-2021, 12:44 PM   #11
TrailBlaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewseeker View Post
Hey Folks,

Working my way into canoe camping. Been looking at videos of Lake Lila, Lowes ,bog flow area and it does not look very inviting for swimming or Have i not seen enough Youtube Videos? I'm ISO a spot that has good swimming and clean like over on some Follensby Pond spots. I'm open to any spot suggestions or area.

Thanks In advance.

Viewseeker
I have found good swimming spots on Lake Lila, Lows (not below the upper dam), Little Tupper and other canoe camping locations. The exception might be the Oswegtachie (with the exception of High Falls). As a precaution, I often wear water shoes.