Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
AxCxNJ

1-29 Colden Trap Dike climbing and snowboarding

so the trap dike on colden has been something ive been wanting to do for a while...also have been wanting to take the snowboards up to some slides and find some nice turns..why not lump both together.

because of limited free time, we decided to make this a day trip from the loj. we set out at about 7 am and made it to avalanche lake by about 9 on our snowshoes.

getting into the trap dike we started hitting the deep snow with ice underneath. time to break out the crampons and climbing gear. we roped up and simulclimbed for a bit. then hit the first pitch where i took lead.

after some more trudging and enjoying the views, we got to the next pitch. after some time on that ice, which my brother was leading. he just wasnt comfortable with how chandeliered and crumbly the ice was. there was no solid purchase with the tools and we werent too keen on risking much..so we decided to descend.

back at the first pitch we rappelled down and then were finally ready to make some turns with the snowboards

the snow was soft and deep, and even though we didnt summit and hit the slides we were hoping to..the trip was a success and i had a huge smile on the rest of the day.

and in case anyone wants to know. you can snowboard from avalanche lake to marcy dam on the ski trail without stopping...pretty amazing haha
AxCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Thanks for the report and the awesome pictures!

Did you guys use protection when you were roped in, or did you just rope to each other?
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
AxCxNJ

for the pitches we used ice screws on the way up, and then the pickets seemed to make the safest anchors after work hardening the snow for bringing up the follower. between the vertical pitches we were just roped to eachother.
AxCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
marctoso

looks like a good day in the mountains. Good write up and photos. Was your plan to ski the 1990 slide on colden?
marctoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
KurtVon

love they trap dyke!! haven't hit it in the winter yet but one day I will. too bad you didn't get up onto the slides, would have been some crazy snowboarding. Sounds like a success to me either way. A day in the adks is never a bad day!
"To live only for some future goal is shallow. Itís the sides of the mountain which sustain life, not the top. Hereís where things grow. But of course, without the top you canít have any sides. Itís the top that defines the sides. So on we go...we have a long way...no hurry...just one step after the next...."

www.kurtvon.com
KurtVon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:58 AM   #6
snoeboarder

I'm covid bored and starting to winter dream. Who am I kidding, I been dreaming about snow since last March.

Now I'm that guy commenting on an almost 10 year thread, lol

Anyway, I bet the pics were sweet but it looks like the links croaked.

Thanks for the last line suggestion. I research local'ish backcountry snowboarding but tend to chase lift serviced pow in VT. Happy shredding!
snoeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:22 PM   #7
SpencerVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoeboarder View Post
I'm covid bored and starting to winter dream. Who am I kidding, I been dreaming about snow since last March.

Now I'm that guy commenting on an almost 10 year thread, lol

Anyway, I bet the pics were sweet but it looks like the links croaked.

Thanks for the last line suggestion. I research local'ish backcountry snowboarding but tend to chase lift serviced pow in VT. Happy shredding!
Nothing wrong with dreaming about winter! I do all the time!! I love the Trap Dike as well.
For lift service powder in VT, nothing beats Jay. Especially the winter of 2001!